Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Local Bigfoot Expert
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still on my first road bike, a 2007 Trek 5000 triple. It has about 6K miles on it since August. It is currently equipped with a Bontrager Race 52/39/30 crankset, a Shimano 105 front derailleur, and an Ultegra rear derailleur.

I am looking to give it some love and treat it to a new crankset. I want to keep it as a triple as I will most likely buy a more serious bike in the next 12-18 months and will want to keep one triple around for certain routes. As for the crankset, I am looking at the Ultegra 6603. If I swap to this, should I consider swapping out the 105 front derailleur as well while I am at it?

Also, I assume that I will need to get the Ultegra 6600 bottom bracket as well, correct? I have never removed a crankset so this will be a learning experience.

Thanks!

-GT

· Registered
14,776 Posts
But why, if you don't mind my asking? Changing the cranks will make zero difference in how the bike works. If you're determined to throw money at a nearly-new bike that you're going to replace soon anyway, why not buy something that has at least a minimal effect on performance, like wheels or tires?

But to answer your question, the old FD need not be replaced.

· Local Bigfoot Expert
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why must you guys function as the voice of reason when I want some bling? :)

You know, you guys are right and I was on the fence about this one anyway. I will put my money back into the piggy bank. Maybe I will buy some streamers for the handlebars to satisfy my need for something new on the bike.

Thanks guy, really!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.