Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a nice rear wheel with a shimano-splined hub, and I had someone send me a campy hub. I used a couple of hexes and took off the old hub. Then I greased the campy one and simply put it on and screwed it back in, careful not to torque too much.

At this point, I tried to spin the wheel, and it would not go. I loosened the nut a lot could get it to spin a little. There is too much friction between the edge of the new hub and the covering on the bearings...or whatever you call it. How the heck can I fix this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
?

If I understand you, you tried to put a Campy freehub body on a Shimano hub? If so, that won't work.

But I'm not sure I understand what you did, because you're not using the terminology accurately. You say you removed the "hub". What part exactly did you replace?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
worldonastrng said:
I bought a nice rear wheel with a shimano-splined hub, and I had someone send me a campy hub. I used a couple of hexes and took off the old hub. Then I greased the campy one and simply put it on and screwed it back in, careful not to torque too much.

At this point, I tried to spin the wheel, and it would not go. I loosened the nut a lot could get it to spin a little. There is too much friction between the edge of the new hub and the covering on the bearings...or whatever you call it. How the heck can I fix this?

Thanks!
Is the wheel designed to accept both Shimano and Campy compatible freehub bodies?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Some Shimano compatable hubs can be changed over to a Campy compatable freehub, some can't. What hub do you have? That info will help us solve your problem. (if possible)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JCavalia - you are right about my terminology. I think I am just referring to the freehub body.

The hub is a Blackwell Research. The company tanked last year and they recently liquidated a few leftovers. This wheel was already built up shimano, but they said to call so-and-so and he still had a few campy freehub bodies and he would send me one, and that I could just swap them out.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Okay, so it's a part designed to work with that hub, but there's an assembly problem. It sounds to me like a spacer issue -- either there's one or more missing, one or more there that should have been removed, or one or more in the wrong place.

When you say it won't go, do you mean the wheel won't turn on the axle at all, or that it won't turn with respect to the freehub (i.e., it stops if you stop the freehub)? That distinction might help you pinpoint where the issue is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I grab the freehub and try to spin the wheel, it goes nowhere. Not the case when the shimano was installed. Like I said earlier, if I loosen it a lot, it will go.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
worldonastrng said:
If I grab the freehub and try to spin the wheel, it goes nowhere. Not the case when the shimano was installed. Like I said earlier, if I loosen it a lot, it will go.
So the wheel bearings are able to turn, but the freewheel mechanism is seized or not functioning. A spacer issue still seems possible, but maybe you didn't get the pawls back in place correctly, and something is jammed between the freehub body and the hubshell, preventing the freehub from turning as it's supposed to. Maybe you should remove it again, and try installing the old one to see if it operates. Maybe that will show you where the problem is.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
Dont know about Blackwell Research, but with Mavic's there's a washer that needs to be inside the freehub body, out at the end where the nut goes, inside between the body and the hub spindle that holds the bearing. If you look inside the Shimano FH Body, it may be stuck at the end, inside.

Just thinkin.... could be...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.