Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my neighbor called earlier, her husbands bike had a front brake issue..she brought it up and I released the cable from the caliper and the cable is just frozen solid into the housing (or the threaded end) They are all 105 components but the cable itself is NOT stainless and I don't think the housings are lined with teflon. This bike is 2 years old and has NEVER been ridden in the rain....Actually there is a LOT of corrosion all over it, the front rim is chalky and pitted...
There is NO salvaging the cable or housing and I don't have a spare chunk so I told her she would have to take it in to the shop. (or at least get a new cable for me to put on it).
As it turns out the corrosion is totally from this guy sweating on the bike...YUCK.....he never rinses or wipes it down...the fact that it is an aluminum frame concerns me a little bit.

is this normal?...I mean I have a multiple steel frames and an aluminum and have NEVER had a problem and my bikes get ridden in the rain and snow and salt at times.

Today is wednesday and he has a triathalon on saturday.....so today he tells his wife the front brake isn't working....could you get it fixed for me?

She mentioned to me that maybe he could just race without a front brake.......can you believe it?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Some peoples sweat is loaded with salt and other corrosives. Depends on the individual. I can't understand how he could sweat on the front brake or the front rim.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yep, sweat can be very corrosive! A buddy of mine (who perspires profusely) had to replace an aluminum stem due to pitting. He now wipes down his bike after each summer ride.

Mr. Versatile said:
I can't understand how he could sweat on the front brake or the front rim.
I suspect T0G's neighbor does a lot of indoor training. In this case, a "Sweat Guard" would protect against future bike damage. The one shown below is made by Minoura and has an absorbent terry cloth cover. I think Performance Bikes sells their own version too.

Paul

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul1PA said:
I suspect T0G's neighbor does a lot of indoor training.
exactly.......the whole bike is filthy too......that is just foreign to me....I keep all of mine pretty much immaculate...It keeps them working better and lasting longer. (as if pretty wasn't enough...lol)

This guy has "disposable income" I guess and doesn't care.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Most folks think sweat is part of the hydration system, but it is not. Sweat is part of the same bodily system that produces saliva and we all know how corrosive saliva is.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I saw a CF bike once that had a seat tube loaded with evaporites from sweat. It was, bar none, the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. The guy must have paid a fortune to have it serviced, as the seat post and every bolt on that bike were corroded.

Clean yer bikes, people!

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
my rear brake cable got corroded from riding on the trainer. i didn't even realize that much sweat was getting on the bike. a little lube took care of it.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Slip Stream said:
Most folks think sweat is part of the hydration system, but it is not. Sweat is part of the same bodily system that produces saliva and we all know how corrosive saliva is.
We do? I must have missed that gem of a claim in dental school. Entertain me please!

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
exactly.......the whole bike is filthy too......that is just foreign to me....I keep all of mine pretty much immaculate...It keeps them working better and lasting longer. (as if pretty wasn't enough...lol)

This guy has "disposable income" I guess and doesn't care.

Charge him $50 dollars to replace the cable then. :D

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jupiterrn said:
Charge him $50 dollars to replace the cable then. :D
I don't keep Shimano stuff around...and I didn't have a spare chunk of Campy either...

Now back to spit being corrosive????..it is?..... I did not know that...is that how it starts digestion?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW I told her to go to the LBS in Beaver Dam...he JUST re-opened after he got flooded out...a month of no business...along with all the associated damage...utilities, water heater, furnace...and no flood insurance ...he needs the money more than I do....

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,897 Posts
Add sun screen with zinc oxide into the mix and you can remove the clear coat from your Trek CF frame.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.