Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like riding in the heat- probably because I sweat like mad, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Problem is, any metal on my bike that I sweat on (or that sweat works its way into) is now rusting or oxidizing- brake cables inside the housing, bottle cage bolts, bolts that hold the brake caliper to the frame, races inside the headset (had to replace it because it was trashed), and tonight, I even discovered that parts of my bottom bracket are rusting (caught it early enough to clean it & regrease everything well).

WTF? It's like the effect of seawater on an ocean-bound boat! Does anyone else out there have particularly corrosive sweat (or just sweat in volumes large enough to drown your bike)? What do you do?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
For some reason, and I'm not sure why, certain people (moi included) have a higher
concentraction of electrolytes in their sweat. Scientists, please help us out here!
I also think that the fitter we get, the more adept the sweat glands become at
regulating body temperature via evaporation. Yeah, I clean things almost every ride
and triflow the cable housings to drive out moisture, as well as brakes and derailleurs.
PITA, but probably a mixed blessing. Otherwise, my bike might start looking like the
Titanic!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,321 Posts
I sweat quite a bit--my sweat is also prett corrosive.

Somehow or another, I have't done any damage to my bike and its parts though. :confused:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
more sweat is a sign of being adapted well to heat

In that case, I must have been living in hell for quite some time now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
wear the right cycling clothes...

We all sweat, but we do not all drip.... I lose about 1 - 1.5 gallons based on what I weigh before my ride, what I drink and what I weigh at the end.... I feel virtually dry the whole ride....

you clothes, and maybe a head band will solve the drip problem...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Andrea138 said:
It's usually too humid to let sweat dry around here- although I have considered a headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Can you recommend one?
The SweatVac is the best headband I've used. Effective and quality construction. The HeadSweats is also effective, but looks cheap. The Halo2 rubber strip leaves a mark across my forehead, so I can't recommend it. Pearl Izumi's headband is thin and not as absorbent. Haven't tried the Sweat GUTR since I don't need something that extreme.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Ride full carbon fiber Andrea! :D

Wash it down after each ride perhaps. I've seen horribly disfigured handlebars and bar end shifters and stems on TT and road bikes. And the bikes are real nice at that too. But then again, these people hardly clean their bikes and even have sports drinks spill on the bars etc without any doubt.

As far as dripping sweat, no way to really stop it if you perspire a lot but a headband or cycling cap might help.

Nike makes good ones from what I recall.

And, here is humid 24/7 practically. I'm just lucky I don't sweat as much as you do perhaps. Although I did lose about 6lbs of weight (water weight) after track practice once. I kid you not.

Also, sweatbands might be useful to wipe away sweat but I don't think they'll be of much use for you since they might get soaked already before you can use them.

My suggestion - Headband/cycling cap. Or both. And then wash your bike's cockpit area after a ride with the remaining water left or use a small bucket. That would really work. A guy at my LBS does this and he sweats a lot too.

Good luck Andrea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sweat Factoids:

Sweat has the makeup of dilute urine, several salts, and waste products, and with prolonged exertion ammonia from protein breakdown, all pretty corrosive.

Physiologic response of fit athletes is to start sweating sometimes PRIOR to exercise and usually sweat more during exercise, a neurougenic response.

That's all I got.

Oh yea, wash your bike after every ride, water and soap are far less corrosive

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I hate it when it so humid that the sweat runs in your eyes and covers your eyewear.
Last year I found rust on my brake cable stops on my top tube. Had to sand them down and repaint the stops. The sweat cut right through the paint.
Being semi-fat, it feels like I'm wearing a neoprene wet suit when it gets really hot.

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
Sweatvac headbands FTW! Acid sweat in the eyes at 25 MPH is no fun. . .

:)

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
AH1 said:
Sweat Factoids:

Sweat has the makeup of dilute urine, several salts, and waste products, and with prolonged exertion ammonia from protein breakdown, all pretty corrosive.

Physiologic response of fit athletes is to start sweating sometimes PRIOR to exercise and usually sweat more during exercise, a neurougenic response.

That's all I got.

Oh yea, wash your bike after every ride, water and soap are far less corrosive
Then I guess Partick Ewing was exceptionally fit. That guy would sweat profusely during the layup line. :)

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Coolhand said:
Sweatvac headbands FTW! Acid sweat in the eyes at 25 MPH is no fun. . .

:)
+1

Only heard good stuff bout it. Never tried one though. Don't really need one though.

1,130 Posts
Wax or polish the frame

Put a good coat of wax or (what I use) polish on the frame, and keep it up to date.

Wipe it off after a sweaty ride helps, too, but the wax or polish is the first (and last) line of defense.

Makes a huge difference. I learned this the hard way -- I had the same problem and had to have my frame repainted because of it.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Slim Again said:
Put a good coat of wax or (what I use) polish on the frame, and keep it up to date.

Wipe it off after a sweaty ride helps, too, but the wax or polish is the first (and last) line of defense.

Makes a huge difference. I learned this the hard way -- I had the same problem and had to have my frame repainted because of it.
I use the Pedro's Bike Lust, the silicone really helps protect your frame from a lot of things, including crystalized energy drinks.

I still got nasty sweat on my bike since I haven't cleaned it in about 3 weeks, but with Bike Lust... it comes off easy just like the hardened gatorate.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.