Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? It's essentially an all DT-Swiss wheelset. 240S hubs laced to DT RR1.1 rims with DT Revolution spokes all around.

Looks pretty sweet to me. Light weight but good spoke lacing for a (hopefully) laterally stiff wheel. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
They are nice wheels to be sure. However, DT hubs are a significant price jump over Campy and Shimano hubs. Whether that price premium is worth it is up to you. Personally, I'd go with the same build as the Swiss Threat but with Chorus or Dura-ace hubs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I recently took delivery on a set of DT Swiss R1.1 rims laced to Am. Classic hubs with 28 DT Swiss Revolutions on the front and a 32 spoke mix of Revolutions and Competitions on the rear. Total cost was $330 delivered. I have about 100 miles on them and they're great. Total weight as specified above 1466 grams. Needless to say, they would be lighter with fewer spokes but I wanted strength as well as low weight.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just had a custom set built with DT 240s hubs

Love them. Well worth the expense. I also have handbuilts with D/A hubs (but no Campy hubs) and so far love the smoothness of the DT hubs. True, they are not as easy to service as the cone and cup loose bearing hubs, but for me they were worth the cost.

Mike at oddsandendos built mine, but with Velocity Aeroheads. $490 for the set. I have a set of D/A Open Pros built by Excel, and they are also top notch, so no issues with Excel as builders.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
No to DT Swiss... yes to Dura Ace

Just happened to talk to my LBS owner today about hubs... in his opinion the only ones that don't suck are King, Shimano, and Campy. He even singled out DT 240s (without my asking). Granted we live in a wet corrosive environment, so hubs have a harsh life. If you never ride in the rain you wouldn't need to worry about it. He mentioned that Shimano and Campy require regular service, but it is relatively easy... and Kings are just better.

The new Dura Ace rear hubs only weigh 260g... same as King. They go on ebay for $100-$150.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
as euro mentioned above, you might try a build with a cheaper hub. really, it depends on your intended use. i'm getting the dt rims laced to chorus hubs for my new bike. i think i'm doing 28 w/ 3x all the way around (though, the lbs might have had trouble w/ finding 28 hubs, so they may be 32). but who cares, it's my everyday wheelset. the rims are solid and the hubs are worry free. the owner uses the same set up for training wheels. if you are looking for a race/special occasion wheelset, you can always go lighter with less solid components.

it's all about use and cost benifit for you. either way, i don't think you'd be unhappy with any of the sets mentioned above.

·
Registered
133 Posts
10 speed only

rruff said:
The new Dura Ace rear hubs only weigh 260g... same as King. They go on ebay for $100-$150.
I am thinking of getting some wheels built up, and I was planning to use the new Dura Ace hubs, until I read that they are 10 speed only. That puts me back into the new Ultegra hubs or old Dura Ace hubs.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Excel builds really good wheels, but I would also recommend going with DA hubs - that way, you could even go 24f and 28r. DT Swiss hubs seem pretty nice, but there doesn't seem to be much of a point.

I don't think CK hubs are in any way "just better" than Record or DA. Much more expensive, and they come in some very bright, shiny colors - yes. Not lighter, certainly not lower maintenance. And the noise is just awful...

Shimano and Campy have been in the bearing and hub design game for a very long time, and have gotten good at it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did you get them?

blandin said:
I recently took delivery on a set of DT Swiss R1.1 rims laced to Am. Classic hubs with 28 DT Swiss Revolutions on the front and a 32 spoke mix of Revolutions and Competitions on the rear. Total cost was $330 delivered. I have about 100 miles on them and they're great. Total weight as specified above 1466 grams. Needless to say, they would be lighter with fewer spokes but I wanted strength as well as low weight.
Where did you get them from?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
They seem to be a nice set of wheels. A friend of mine who just built up a Look is considering them. I would give them a shot. Oh, and whoever told rruff that the new 7800 rear hub is just as light as CK's rear hub has been smoking something stronger than just tobacco. It belongs in the same catagory as Yamaha claimming their new R6 redlines at 17,500rpm.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
exracer said:
Oh, and whoever told rruff that the new 7800 rear hub is just as light as CK's rear hub has been smoking something stronger than just tobacco.
Weight Weenies:

Dura-Ace FH-7800 2004 32H Claimed: 264 g Actual: 255 g −3,41% rear, w/out skewer, 10-speed compatible only

Excel:

Chris King Road Rear 32h Weight: 263 grams

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=hubs

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Hub+Road+Rear&vendorCode=KING&major=1&minor=17

CK front hub has a 13g edge.

You stand corrected. Next time don't bother being so rude when you might be very, very wrong.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I stand corrected. I saw where ShimaNO claimed to be in the 260 gram range but the lightest I ever saw it rated was 330. My attitude while rough comes from a healthy dose of skepticism. After being in cycling for over 25 yrs and been on motorcycles for 15yrs, I don't buy a word that comes out certain companies. I've also been in the civil engineering field for the past 15 yrs and Autodesk is and example of another such company.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
ampastoral said:
. i think i'm doing 28 w/ 3x all the way around (though, the lbs might have had trouble w/ finding 28 hubs, so they may be 32).

If you want 28 hole campy hubs, you have to go Record. With Chorus or Centaur you have to go 32 or 36.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
euro-trash said:
If you want 28 hole campy hubs, you have to go Record. With Chorus or Centaur you have to go 32 or 36.
ha. thanks. i'm an idgit some times. that, and i tend to listen selectively. looks like those wheels will be bomb proof for my 147 lbs. cool. agonizing over parts selection for a bike build will make you dizzy (in a good way, though)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
ampastoral said:
ha. thanks. i'm an idgit some times. that, and i tend to listen selectively. looks like those wheels will be bomb proof for my 147 lbs. cool. agonizing over parts selection for a bike build will make you dizzy (in a good way, though)
You could get a Record front Hub for only a few bucks more than a Chorus, and then get a Chorus rear hub. The finish is the same so it wouldn't look ackward. Then you could run a 28 hole 2x cross on the front, which, at your weight would be fine. With that having been said, there is certainly NOTHING wrong with your 3xcross 32 hole idea.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
euro-trash said:
You could get a Record front Hub for only a few bucks more than a Chorus, and then get a Chorus rear hub. The finish is the same so it wouldn't look ackward. Then you could run a 28 hole 2x cross on the front, which, at your weight would be fine. With that having been said, there is certainly NOTHING wrong with your 3xcross 32 hole idea.
yeah, i thought of that when i had the original conversation with the builder at the lbs. but i'm getting a killer deal on the chorus hubs. i'll be picking them up in a day or so. i told them to go with it and suprise me. also, i'll be building some race/special occasion wheels around ambrosio crono tubbie rims. i'm thinking doing record hubs on those (28 each, assuming that will give me adequate stiffness). well, record or the new white h1 hubs (dt is out of budget), which is my current source of agonizing indecision.....really, what's the diff of 70-90 grams for the record v. the white, in the scheme of things? for those few grams you get the ultimate piece of mind and durability....

sorry for the thread jack, but to the OP, hopefully this little side discussion helps. the dt's are cool indeed, but is the weight/cool factor worth your $ over the DA/ultegra or record/chorus option? either route will make a great set of wheels...IMO

·
Registered
133 Posts
Skewers

exracer said:
I stand corrected. I saw where ShimaNO claimed to be in the 260 gram range but the lightest I ever saw it rated was 330. My attitude while rough comes from a healthy dose of skepticism.
Shimano advertised hub weights always include their skewers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts