Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I used to commute by bike every day, that was years ago, then i started using the car for evertything, now I have a kit and realized i was notfit enough to play with him.

I stopped using the car to commute and moved to the motorcycle, I just recently stopped usingthe motorcycle to commute and I'm back on my bikes.

I started using a giant seek i bought specificaly for thart purpose a couple of years ago, I put sks longboard fenders, a narrower titanium flatbar, rear rack, and the child seat for the times I go around with my kid. I had a rear flat tire and swapped the tires for tannus tires to prevent... Now the bike is too heavy ansd slow.

I grabbed the specialized tarmac and fell in love with that bike as my daily commuter, I only added a topeak defender with light, a front handlebar light and a set of cross levers which are great for lanesplitting and jumping up and down the sidewalks, and i carry my stuff in a backpack instead of the rack.

I ride 30km a day (home-office-home), and with the traffic and all it takes me one hour in the tarmac and one hour and 30 minutes in the seek, and I end up realy tired on the last. I cant affordto get to office all sweaty because I have no shower in there.

I have to carry the bike to leave my apartment, I have to carry the bike to cross a couple of roads, and I have tocarry the bike inside my office, and back.

I tried, and now I know I don't want a heavy bike, but i'm a bit conserned I may kill my tarmac. I'ma big guy, at 1.88m (ca. 6'2") and 100kilos (ca. 225pounds), I ride agressively, and I have never fallen on the road bikes, but I'm afraid I'd have to jump off the bike someday and crash it. Or get to confident and do something stupid (would not be the first time).

The mountain bike is comfortable and sturdy, but slow because of the gearing, and the bars are too wide for lanesplitting, the urban bike was relatively fast but i made it slow wih the accesories. The tarmac experti ablast to ride i can effortlessly ride at 30km/h. And I want to keep that. I'm not dount mtb i could keep only a road bike for a while.

I bought the tarmac used for a 25% of it's original price. It's a very good price for the quality I got.

I never commuted on the road bike becausei imagined it would be too fragil, but it is way faster, i even like the race ergo for the town.

the drawbacks i found are:
-The brakes lack power, I prefer disc brakes.
-Carbon is suposed tobe brittle and I would like to keep the bike alive and not to have abike cracking at speed.
-Price of a new bike.

I've had steel, aluminum and carbon bikes, but this would be my first titanium bike. Would it beconsiderably heavier? Would it be more resistant? Would it be as fast? EOultit actually be sturdier?

I have not broken any carbonfiber part, but I have not crashed on a carbon bike, so I wouldn't realy know.

Should I sell my frame and get a titanium CX for commuting and recreational touring? Or shall I squiz the tarmac until it dies (may be it never will)?

If someone has some simmilar experience or an infomed opinion, please share.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
I like my Ti roadie for commuting because it's indestructible. I never worry about locking it in the rack. There’s no paint to be damaged and without flashy paint, the thing is invisible to the thieves around there. Until I changed jobs a couple of months ago, I did 30 miles (48km) round trip daily in about an hour each way.

As for weight, I live in a third-floor walk-up. The bikes go up and down the stairs with me. Where I was working at the time, I also carried the bike inside and hung it on a wall rack. Then again, I do the same with my heavier bikes with the racks and fenders and dynamo hubs and such.

I've never owned carbon. I like the Ti enough that I've never been tempted to even test ride carbon. Although I expect that someday I will.

My recommendation? Obey N+1. Get the Ti frame with the disc brakes you want, put 105 on it, put some nice 28mm tires on it (I really like Michelin's Pro4 Endurance) and ride it to death. Later if you decide to put a rack or fenders or lights on it, you'll still have the Tarmac for weekends.

EDIT: Should have said I've never owned a carbon frame. All my bikes have carbon forks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts