Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbikeitis?

Now I don't want to start a flame war over shimano vs camagnolo, but I've got a growing itch for a new bike. Unfortunately I can't spend all that money. My DA components are working fine and I have no practical reason to replace them, but they are now about 3 years old and I've got a buddy who will buy them from me.

Damnit, I just need some kind of justification to update my ride. Does anybody know where I can find good prices on 2003 Record parts?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Just make sure you really want/need it. Changing a whole group on a bike is a pain in the ass and don't forget about your wheels. They might not be compatible.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can do a partial switch, depending on whether you want Campy 9 vs 10

Keep the wheels, crankset, FD and maybe the cassette. Check the archives on how you can reroute your derailleur cable to shift Shimano 9 cassette. Campy Ergo front is not indexed so you don't have to switch the FD.

Alternatively you can try putting Shimano 10 spd cassette on the old hub. You can also check the web for conversion cassettes and spacers.

Carlos

Speed_Metal said:
Newbikeitis?

Now I don't want to start a flame war over shimano vs camagnolo, but I've got a growing itch for a new bike. Unfortunately I can't spend all that money. My DA components are working fine and I have no practical reason to replace them, but they are now about 3 years old and I've got a buddy who will buy them from me.

Damnit, I just need some kind of justification to update my ride. Does anybody know where I can find good prices on 2003 Record parts?

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Total Cycling

has the best Campy prices I've seen. www.totalcycling.com

I don't know about you but I wear out drivetrain parts in less than three years. If you know someone who wants to buy them, sellem. But, I don't think I would do that to a friend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try Bikesmart.com

Bike smart has got campy groupos onsale right now, Record was around $1800 includes wheels.
Good Luck

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
buy chorus...

Chorus has several parts from the 2003 Reocrd group (crank, rear derailleur and ergo levers) plus a new front derailleur. It's a lt better value.

Check out www.wiscyclebuys.com, txcyclesport.com, ital-tecno.com or labicicletta.com

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
campy shifters are nice

i have 9spd DA, but i hate the shifters, there is no room for your hands. I just want the campy ergo levers, nothing else. what do i have to replace? im thinkin cables/housing, cassette (10spd DA would work here?) and rear derailleur. is that correct?

kilimanjaro said:
Keep the wheels, crankset, FD and maybe the cassette. Check the archives on how you can reroute your derailleur cable to shift Shimano 9 cassette. Campy Ergo front is not indexed so you don't have to switch the FD.

Alternatively you can try putting Shimano 10 spd cassette on the old hub. You can also check the web for conversion cassettes and spacers.

Carlos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.