Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I currently ride a Pinarello Prince, Record, Deda, Eurus/Bora. Its a nice stiff and fast ride, and very stable and dependable. However, its not exactly very comfortable or shock absorbing.

Of late, I've been plagued by back pains and sciatic problems due to an old spinal condition [PID - Prolapsed Discs] I am currently resting up and easing slowly back onto the bike. Thus, I am considering a change to titanium for its comfort factor and ability to absord road shocks. I am not very keen on carbon, as I find its 'feel' not quite to my taste. Also, the durability and ease of maintanance of Ti is a plus point.

I can get a good deal on Lightspeed and Merlin frames from a local dealer. I dont like the big decals on Lightspeeds, and kinda prefer the elegance of Merlin. I'm considering the Merlin Extralight or maybe the Cyrene. And yeah, though I'm in Asia and have always ridden mainly Italian bikes, I know American titanium builders are better with more experience and better workmanship.

Has anyone any thoughts on this? Anyone made such a switch? Is Ti really that more comfortable? Will performance be compromised? Is it true that Ti is generally not stiff compared to bikes like the Prince? Any comments, advise, thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

·
Tourist
987 Posts
Merlin XL kicks ass

didn't switch from a Prince though, but from a Trek 5200. The Trek kicked ass as well, both are much better bikes than what I deserve. But I kind of think I prefer the Merlin. I have to ride some more miles to decide though, did only 2000 miles on it so far.

I had an old Lightspeed Ultimate a few weeks ago, but tend to think the ride on the Merlin is more comfortable.

Pierre

ParticleMan said:
Hi All

I currently ride a Pinarello Prince, Record, Deda, Eurus/Bora. Its a nice stiff and fast ride, and very stable and dependable. However, its not exactly very comfortable or shock absorbing.

Of late, I've been plagued by back pains and sciatic problems due to an old spinal condition [PID - Prolapsed Discs] I am currently resting up and easing slowly back onto the bike. Thus, I am considering a change to titanium for its comfort factor and ability to absord road shocks. I am not very keen on carbon, as I find its 'feel' not quite to my taste. Also, the durability and ease of maintanance of Ti is a plus point.

I can get a good deal on Lightspeed and Merlin frames from a local dealer. I dont like the big decals on Lightspeeds, and kinda prefer the elegance of Merlin. I'm considering the Merlin Extralight or maybe the Cyrene. And yeah, though I'm in Asia and have always ridden mainly Italian bikes, I know American titanium builders are better with more experience and better workmanship.

Has anyone any thoughts on this? Anyone made such a switch? Is Ti really that more comfortable? Will performance be compromised? Is it true that Ti is generally not stiff compared to bikes like the Prince? Any comments, advise, thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

1 - 2 of 2 Posts