Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat new to Road riding with only a few 1000 miles on the road saddle. This may sound like a stupid question, so I'll apologize ahead of the post.
I'm riding a Specialized Roubaix Triple and just changed my wheels for a stronger more durable set, while doing so I changed my cassette to a 12-27 (Ultegra 9) so that I can cope with some of the hills (I'm an old guy too!) After installation (at home) I noticed that the rear dérailleur (Ultegra) seemed to be a little closer to the 27 gear than it used to be to the old 25 The chain roller seems to be as close as it can get. Do I need to extend my chain or get a slightly longer Chain? or is there an adjustment that can be accomplished? Apart from that it indexes ok, and I haven't road tested it yet. Any help or a link if this has been answered before would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
675 Posts
B-tension

CaliforniaPI said:
Somewhat new to Road riding with only a few 1000 miles on the road saddle. This may sound like a stupid question, so I'll apologize ahead of the post.
I'm riding a Specialized Roubaix Triple and just changed my wheels for a stronger more durable set, while doing so I changed my cassette to a 12-27 (Ultegra 9) so that I can cope with some of the hills (I'm an old guy too!) After installation (at home) I noticed that the rear dérailleur (Ultegra) seemed to be a little closer to the 27 gear than it used to be to the old 25 The chain roller seems to be as close as it can get. Do I need to extend my chain or get a slightly longer Chain? or is there an adjustment that can be accomplished? Apart from that it indexes ok, and I haven't road tested it yet. Any help or a link if this has been answered before would be very much appreciated.
There is a screw at the mounting bolt of the rear derailleur that contacts the frame dropout. This adjusts the tension of the "B spring" (spring that wraps around the pivot bolt) and allows adjustment of the distance of the upper pulley in relation to the cassette cogs. As long as the pulley is not contacting the largest cassette cog when pedaling forward, it should be fine the way it is. In general, the shifting will perform the best with the upper pulley as close to the largest cog as possible without touching. Since not all frames have similar positioning of the derailleur hanger, B-tension adjustment may be a null adjustment on some frames.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
B screw Adjustment

When I adjust the B screw, nothing happens. I can see the derailler drop down when it is on the higher gears but not on my lowest (the 27). So am I back at square 1 and need an extra link in the chain?

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Is anything wrong with the shifting? The guide pulley can be close to the 27 cog. As long as it isn't rubbing(you'll notice the noise) you are alright.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's ok

Just went for a test ride, I took it easy just to be on the safe side and everything was great. No noise and smooth shifting even on the 27 cog. Thanks for your help, I'm learning as I go and looking forward to learning a whole lot more.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
CaliforniaPI said:
Actually, that's a pretty smart question, showing you're paying attention to what's going on. You made the right changes to deal with the terrain you're riding. Instead of thinking a lighter wheelset would solve all problems, you got a more durable set. In only 1000 miles, you're making smart changes that take most people years to come around to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you

Thank you Jesse, I bought the Roubaix as it felt the best fit to my body when I rode a few around at my LBS. The base model was fine for me, as I'm riding for fitness primarily which still came with 105 and an Ultegra rear dérailleur. The weak point on the whole bike was the ALX wheels, 24 spoke rear and 20 front. Even after 1000 miles i could hear the creak of the spokes as they rubbed together especially when going uphill (steep hill, so I'm going slow). I want a bike that I can ride, not spend in the shop so I upgraded to Ultegra hubs and Open pro 32 spoke wheels. When I compared them they were pretty close in weight and I need the durability. I'm very happy with my selection and I'm happy to be a member of the road riding community. I know that in all probability the car/truck that gives me a very wide berth on the road is going to be another rider, the asses that seem to want to get as close as they can, I hope I can catch up with them at the next intersection.
Thanks again for the compliment, and the advice,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts