Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I currently have continental gatorskins 23mm on Mavic aksium race wheels and thinking of moving up to larger widths. My question is, for a lightweight rider, should I just switch to 25c and not bother about 28s, since I can run rather low PSIs alr due to my weight? Or would it be good to switch to 28mm tires. Just FYI, I have a 2010 TCR advacned 3, in size M/L.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Information about what you are trying to gain from changing tire size and how much you weigh would be helpful in answering your question. If it's a more comfortable ride or less rolling resistance moving from Gatorskins to pretty much anything else would be an improvement - they are harsh riding although very long lasting and flat resistant.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If you're a lightweight I'm not even sure if you'd see a benefit, but more importantly, I don't know if you can even get a 28 to fit in there, I have an 09 TCR and even a 25 is close depending on which wheelset I'm running.

·
CX'er
863 Posts
I'm 230 and at some point I feel like you get diminishing returns. The jump from 23 to 25 was very noticeable, though so was the 25 to 23 when the new race bike wouldn't take the 25's I had been using. I find anything much wider than 28's, for me, start to feel too soft from sprints and the like. The front tire just feels a bit too spungy for my liking. I've actually very much enjoyed a 28mm rear and 25mm front the past too years for training and now that there are more racing tires in 28mm I'm planning to do the same for my race tires. The added grip for crits or rainy weather makes me feel more comfortable and at my weight I probably should have been riding wider tires all along, even for races.

28mm tires seem to last a long time for me compared to 23mm tires in the same tire design. Makes sense, a lot more rubber spread across the road with the increased contact patch width spreading the load vs a longer one down the center which squared tires up quickly at my weight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Information about what you are trying to gain from changing tire size and how much you weigh would be helpful in answering your question. If it's a more comfortable ride or less rolling resistance moving from Gatorskins to pretty much anything else would be an improvement - they are harsh riding although very long lasting and flat resistant.
the last time I checked, I was about 58kg/ 128 pounds. Shifting to 25s as I would like to do more gravel rides comfortably, and also a bit due to the 25c tyre hype :)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
Deleted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.