Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it difficult and or expensive to switch the gear shifters from the "Oldschool" down-tube shifters to the new levers? I have someone selling me an old Benotto that I like but thats the only thing holding me back.

Is it something that I should really be bothered by in the first place?

·
Registered
675 Posts
You'll have to give us some more information

cyclinrookie said:
Is it difficult and or expensive to switch the gear shifters from the "Oldschool" down-tube shifters to the new levers? I have someone selling me an old Benotto that I like but thats the only thing holding me back.

Is it something that I should really be bothered by in the first place?
First off, how many cogs in back? You'll need atleast 7 to go to Shimano's bottom rung Sora group (IIRC they still make those in 7-speed). Depending on the current parts of the bike, you may be looking at a new cassette, chain, rear (maybe front) derailleur, cables and housing, the shifters and bar tape. If the rear wheel takes a freewheel instead of a cassette, then you're pretty much limited to 7 speed. Rear dropout spacing has gotten wider in the past couple decades, which can potentially complicate things if want to get a new rear wheel to accomadate more gears in back.

Overall, I consider it rare if ever cost-effective to upgrade an old bike with much other than simple things like tires, bar tape, etc. With the price of complete road bikes coming with STI shifters and other nicer parts to boot starting at about $500, there's little reason to upgrade an old clunker unless it really is a mint condition "classic" (in which case why change anything?). If you have to change out most of the parts I listed above, expect costs to get pretty close to that of a new bike. Don't mean to rain on your parade, it's just that it's easy to get sucked into upgrade fever with something that isn't worth the money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you anti. You are actually raining on the seller's parade! lol...I didnt think it was that much of a mission. You are right, I'll just get a nice used one or a new bike.

punchin out

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Believe me, it's won't be the gearing or shifter location that holds you back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts