Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I inherited a '05 Felt F1C, maybe 2k miles, full Dura Ace, full carbon, stainless chain, etc, awesome bike... except it's way too big for me. I need a smaller frame by 2 or 3 sizes, depending on the frame. This model seems to be selling for barely $1k online, I think simply because it's 8 years old, but the frame/fork is fetching $300 or so.

I have the option to buy a really clean '09 Tarmac Pro SL frame & fork (fact 10r carbon) that is a much better fit for me (telling from riding equivalent tarmac frames in that size already). Stiffer carbon, and at a really good price. The only trick is that I would have to get a Specialized english threading to BB30 adapter to fit the 7800 crankset on the Tarmac. I may also change out the K-Wing bars for Specialized bars, but only out of preference.

After selling the felt frame/fork, I would end up with a Tarmac SL Pro with full 7800 for around $1k, give or take. As Scorpio would say, a good get.

Besides this, are there any issues beyond what I'm thinking of? Is just overall a bad idea? Neither is internal cable routing, which is good news... Not a fan of internal routing anyways, and I don't have a need for electronic shifting. This wouldn't be my first build, but it would be my first carbon bike.

Cheers!

Brent

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
No need to get the threaded insert. If you do it's in there permanently. Instead have the BB30 bearings fitted together with a set of Wheels Manufacturing BB30 Adaptors. That way you can upgrade to a BB30 crank later, or if you sell the frame on it is still compatible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No need to get the threaded insert. If you do it's in there permanently. Instead have the BB30 bearings fitted together with a set of Wheels Manufacturing BB30 Adaptors. That way you can upgrade to a BB30 crank later, or if you sell the frame on it is still compatible.
Will keep in mind. Also, the Tarmac is OSBB not BB30; looked at Wheels Mfg and their website says the PressFit 30 Adapter for 24mm Spindle Cranks (Dura Ace) and the Bearing Cup Spacer For Specialized Carbon Frame is the pair I need if the '09 model uses a Carbon OSBB; or simply their BB30 Adapter for Shimano & 24mm Cranks if it is an Alloy OSBB. Looks like the Tarmacs went to Carbon OSBB in 2010 but will have to verify this when I get the frame.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.