Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 21 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to ride on a 54cm LOOK 765 road bike, and was ok while doing long rides with peloton groups, but then I switched to a 51cm BMC TeamMachine SLR01 (did fitting and adjustments), but still having a hard time keeping up from the middle of the ride to the end. Is it because of the period of getting used to a new bike? My legs give in a lot faster… no aches or pains at all with my back, knees or arms. I am 5’7 feet and 147 pounds. Any recommendations to how to getting back to normal and stronger?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
intervals! with some all day medium tempo rides. ... good luck.
You actually think it is the bike? Did they change your setup much? If they did, it will take time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You actually think it is the bike? Did they change your setup much? If they did, it will take time.
Thank you Duriel… yes, I changed size from 54 to 51, and when doing fitting they moved seat up 3cm and forward another 3cm. After a couple of rides, we brought the seat down half a cm. So yes, many changes, I feel faster on this bike, just feel like the energy in my legs runs out a lot faster. Also switched from Shimano to Sram.

Any recommendations for intervals training?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
Jesus...2.5cm?!? That's huge. I'm your height, 69.5cm saddle height. I rode a 49cm Pro Machine years ago. If you liked your previous fit I'd have the BMC set up the same. That's a major major change. No wonder you're feeling like crap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jesus...2.5cm?!? That's huge. I'm your height, 69.5cm saddle height. I rode a 49cm Pro Machine years ago. If you liked your previous fit I'd have the BMC set up the same. That's a major major change. No wonder you're feeling like crap.
And that is how it was set up at the beginning, but then I did a fitting for the first time hoping it would make things better. First 3 long rides weren’t bad at all, but afterwards they have been very difficult to keep up with the group.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you move to the A group too, that could be it!
Nope… same group, that is why it was so strange and discouraging.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use to ride on a 54cm LOOK 765 road bike, and was ok while doing long rides with peloton groups, but then I switched to a 51cm BMC TeamMachine SLR01 (did fitting and adjustments), but still having a hard time keeping up from the middle of the ride to the end. Is it because of the period of getting used to a new bike? My legs give in a lot faster… no aches or pains at all with my back, knees or arms. I am 5’7 feet and 147 pounds. Any recommendations to how to getting back to normal and stronger?
My measurement from the middle of the pedal (crank pointing down) to top of the seat is 87cm. Your 69.5cm is from where the crank is to the seat?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They made big changes… 2.5cm up and 3cm seat forward. Plus changing bike size from 54 to 51 and a different handlebar. The ride in general feels great, it is just that eventually my legs run out of power and pain inside the thighs, like a cramp, start bothering me, something that didn’t happen before.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,711 Posts
Thank you Duriel… yes, I changed size from 54 to 51, and when doing fitting they moved seat up 3cm and forward another 3cm. After a couple of rides, we brought the seat down half a cm. So yes, many changes, I feel faster on this bike, just feel like the energy in my legs runs out a lot faster. Also switched from Shimano to Sram.
There are many things you can feel that aren't. Are you sure it is nothing more than feel?

51 seems small for your height. What is your inseam?

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
My measurement from the middle of the pedal (crank pointing down) to top of the seat is 87cm. Your 69.5cm is from where the crank is to the seat?
I'm also 5'7", with 32.5" inseam (as measured from the inside of crotch to the ground), my saddle height 70cm (as measured from center of crank bolt to top of seat). My measurements are almost identical to that of CXwrench. You're the same height and yet your saddle height is 87cm? that's too much height. You using some sort cleats with a tall stack or something???

All my bikes have effective top tube 51.5-52.5cm, with 130mm -17deg stems, the exception is my climbing bike has a shorter 120mm, -8deg stem because I like a little more upright position during long climbs. For reference, I could also fit a Specialized Tarmac 52 with 120mm stem. Comparing the geometry, the BMC Timemachine size 51 is almost identical to the Specialized Tarmac 52, so you bought the right sized bike IMO. I've found all size 54 bikes to be a tad too big, regardless of brands.

Having said that, I don't believe bike fitting is your only issue. You may also have a slight decline in cardio fitness too. But first thing first, fix your bike fitness.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
He got the 'race' fit!
All those measurements seem wacky. Maybe my setup is wacko, I got 76.2 cm cl crank to seat bone position, 33" inseam measurement.
When you measure your seat, one should go to where your seatbones are, otherwise where do you measure to? If you go to the nose, or the rear of the seat, it's a difference of about 3"! I use a setback seatpost, so straight up the tube isn't going to work.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,711 Posts
I'm also 5'7", with 32.5" inseam (as measured from the inside of crotch to the ground), my saddle height 70cm (as measured from center of crank bolt to top of seat). My measurements are almost identical to that of CXwrench. You're the same height and yet your saddle height is 87cm? that's too much height. You using some sort cleats with a tall stack or something???
Looks like two different measuring points. Jorgeparkland is measuring from the middle of the pedal at the most extended point. Cxwrench and aclinjury are measuring from the middle of the BB. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and ride a 56 frame. Using the former measuring method, I get 90cm. Using the latter (and more accepted) measuring method, I get 73cm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He got the 'race' fit!
All those measurements seem wacky. Maybe my setup is wacko, I got 76.2 cm cl crank to seat bone position, 33" inseam measurement.
When you measure your seat, one should go to where your seatbones are, otherwise where do you measure to? If you go to the nose, or the rear of the seat, it's a difference of about 3"! I use a setback seatpost, so straight up the tube isn't going to work.
72 from middle of crank to where the seatbones / 87cm from middle of pedal extended.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,711 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

All my bikes have effective top tube 51.5-52.5cm, with 130mm -17deg stems, the exception is my climbing bike has a shorter 120mm, -8deg stem because I like a little more upright position during long climbs. For reference, I could also fit a Specialized Tarmac 52 with 120mm stem. Comparing the geometry, the BMC Timemachine size 51 is almost identical to the Specialized Tarmac 52, so you bought the right sized bike IMO. I've found all size 54 bikes to be a tad too big, regardless of brands.

Having said that, I don't believe bike fitting is your only issue. You may also have a slight decline in cardio fitness too. But first thing first, fix your bike fitness.
The 87cm height is from the pedal, extended, to the seat. From the middle of the crank hole to the seat is 70cm.
I agree about the frame size, the bike feels fine and comfortable, and I haven't changed anything in my usual rides routines and distances, it is just weird how the inner thighs get so tired fairly quickly, from a ride where I was ok doing every weekend with my group. I feel that I just need to let my body adjust to the new bike, but wanted to. double check that nothing was done wrong to exaggerated in the fitting. And I just started having pain in the tendon behind the right knee, thinking that the seat is too high.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
72 from middle of crank to where the seatbones / 87cm from middle of pedal extended.
You measure straight up the seat tube/post to the center of the saddle. And normally from the center of the bottom bracket, not the pedal.
Wow, you sure have some long legs for someone who is only 5' 7"!!! A 51 is definitely too small for you.
He was giving the wrong measurement. A 51 should be fine for him, as I posted I rode a 49...with a 130 stem.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,711 Posts
Wow, you sure have some long legs for someone who is only 5' 7"!!! A 51 is definitely too small for you.
He was giving the wrong measurement. A 51 should be fine for him, as I posted I rode a 49...with a 130 stem.
I was referring to his proportionally long legs. An 82cm inseam is 32.3 inches and he's only 5' 7". Compare that to my 5' 10" height and 32 inch inseam. I guess you could say I have a proportionally long torso.

On a 51 frame, that must be some long seat post extension!

1 - 21 of 59 Posts