Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Nexus 8-speed wheelset that I plan to use on my Surly CC for commuting. I also plan to use the Versa drop bar shifters with it. The hub is the standard version not the premium or Alfine unit. I log about 3500 miles a year on it commuting.

Before I install the wheelset and use it, I am wondering a couple things:
First, should I have considered a "better" model, like the Alfine or Premium?
Will I notice a substandard durability or performance?
Might I be disappointed switching from the 7700 D/A that I don't want to keep abusing?

I would really like to make sure that I get good value for my dollar so if a little more money now means a much better value and satisfaction I would like to know before I do the install.

I appreciate any advice.

0 Posts
I've got the Alfine, and use the Versa shifters. Been very happy with that setup.

Keep the locknuts on the hub good and tight -- mine worked loose on my first ride to work and the wheel dropped off when I put it up on the kickstand.

So now I check them regularly and have found them a bit loose twice since.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
The only difference I've noticed between standard Nexus and "red band" or Alfine hubs is that the more expensive ones shift more smoothly...but it's not like the standard one is rough. And the standard one is plenty strong -- enjoy the ride!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts