Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to give Continental tires a go thru REI because of a gift coupon and their 20% discount tomorrow. Some of the reviews for the 4000 have been good, some bad, in regards to flats. I currently ride Armadillo Elites and have ridden hundreds of miles with zero flats. My question is are the 4000 more "durable" than the 4000s (no REI reviews for the "s" version) and how will they be compared to the Armadillo. I am a non racer, 165lbs, and my usual rides are 50+ miles. Thanks for any specific input.

·
22 going on Ancient
373 Posts
ctracer01 said:
S version is no different than the regular in terms of construction, only difference is the graphics. get whichever is cheaper, BUT make sure you get black , so that you're buying the black chili compound tires. colored tread uses a different compound
IIRC if you want the special compound you need the 4000s' instead of the 4000's... construction may not differ but materials do...

Regardless, I've heard very good things about Conti' GP 4000s'

·
Registered
577 Posts
i have a brand new 4000s (one tire only) i won at a race. i will let it go for $30.00 plus shipping if interested.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Correct - the Color versions of the 4000's don't have the Chili compound.

Note - Black does not mean you are getting the Chili Compound since they sell a 4000 w/ Chili and a 4000 w/out for cheaper. From my understanding all of the "4000 S" are black with the 'loud silver gfx" and have the Chili Compound.

Just mounted my first set of GP4000's - wanted color so did not get the Chili.

----
S stands for sport, special and Schwarz the German term for black.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Save your REI card & coupon for something else and get the 4000s' at PBK for $33.65 shipped, but hurry as sale ends in a few hours. See Hot Deals section.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agreed - even tomorrow when they are off the 'one day' they are still roughly 50 percent cheaper than REI.

Blue CheeseHead said:
Save your REI card & coupon for something else and get the 4000s' at PBK for $33.65 shipped, but hurry as sale ends in a few hours. See Hot Deals section.

·
Registered
57 Posts
just received my new 4000's today. Wanted 25c so just got the black. Ordered on Sunday. Arrived today. WOW.Free shipping and teh best price i could find anywhere. BTW i am in Canada.

I ordered my wheelset 8 days ago and still dont have them yet! And they are comming from the USA.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Snooze and Loose - went back up to 39 - had in cart was going to pull trigger and total was back up to 39 - so it must be Midnight UK - nice.

·
Registered
832 Posts
For your information - and trouncing people in Bicycle Trivial-Pursuit - the "Black Chili" is finely powdered carbon that is added to the tire material while it's being formed. In a way this gives you carbon-tires! :p :eek: :p

But it really is nice-riding and grips the road. And lowers the rolling-resistance at the same time. Weird, huh?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Colorado Cyclist shows the 4000s at 205 grams for the 700 x 23, the 4000 at 227 for the same. Not a big deal as long as durability doesn't suffer. How much time do you guys spend fixing flats compared to other tires you've tried.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Get the GP 4000s, and get them in black if durability is important to you. I've been using GP 4000s for the past year on several of my bikes, and I ride 600+ miles/month year round. During that time, I have had one flat on my GP 4000s and it was my fault. I didn't mount the tire correctly and the tube apparently got caught under the tire bead, causing a sidewall blowout after a few miles of riding. I replaced the tube -- correctly this time -- and I've been riding that tire with no more problems for hundreds of miles.

If comfort is important to you, and your frame has enough clearance, get the 700 x 25s. They ride really nice and will be more durable than the 23s, yet only weigh a few grams more than the 25s.

BTW, you can buy Conti GP 4000s at www.probikekit.com for very low prices with free shipping from England. Delivery takes no longer than US suppliers. And again, get black tires if you want more durability.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My question is are the 4000 more "durable" than the 4000s
I know the 4000s is supposed to have less rolling resistance etc., but how does the black chili compound affect durability/flat resistance? Will the 4000 be as durable and have the same quality flat resistance as the 4000s?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm confused. Okay, the way I understand it the 4000s comes in 700 x 23 only and only in the black chili compound. You can get 4000 (no "s") in colors and in 25 or 23. Not sure which is more durable. Also when you order from PBK do they convert your payment to dollars before you agree to pay.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm confused. Okay, the way I understand it the 4000s comes in 700 x 23 only and only in the black chili compound. You can get 4000 (no "s") in colors and in 25 or 23. Not sure which is more durable. Also when you order from PBK do they convert your payment to dollars before you agree to pay.
You got it. And yes they do convert your payment to dollars. Look at the top left hand side of the page, you will see a little box that shows what currency the page is currently set to. Switch it to the 'US Dollar' and all prices on the page will show up in dollars.

The reason I ask about the durability of the 4000 VS the 4000s is because I really like the 4000 in blue and I am willing to sacrifice some rolling resistance but not willing to sacrifice flat resistance and durability. So if the only difference between the 4000 and 4000s (with black chili compound) is lower rolling resistance I will go ahead and get the 4000 in bright blue. Id appreciate any insight people have on this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
From what i can find out, the rubber compound is the only difference. They use the same base carcass with the same puncture resistant ply, just the rubber compound in the S version is Black Cili, which is supposedly longer lasting/better grip. Although my standard version 25C 4000 tires i mounted last night feel downright sticky compared to the Bontrager race lite's i took off. Between my new tires (100g lighter each!) and my new wheels (400-500g lighter) i just knocked 1.5 pounds of my bike!! I hope it is noticeable.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
DS1239622 said:
I am willing to sacrifice some rolling resistance but not willing to sacrifice flat resistance and durability.
I'd guess that the flat resistance of the tires with Black Chili is better, and the durability (tread life) seems a lot better.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Just to be clear, and this has been discussed in other threads, ALL of the black Continental GP 4000 tires have the black chili compound. You do not have to order the "chili" or 4000S tires to get it. My Conti GP4000 tires are the regular black ones, and it states clearly on the box that they contain the "chili" additive. The colored GP4000 tires do not contain chili.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have always been a fan of michelin Pro2s.
But after reading all the negative reviews and higer price of the Pro3 I decided to try the 4000S. My inital impression was the ride is a bit stiffer than the Pro2.
After several hundreed miles they look like new, very little wear and zero cuts.
This seems like a really tough tire. I may give the Pro3 a try because I do miss the smoother ride. Seems like the price on Pro3 has come back down.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts