Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the most heated debates: Shinano vs. Sram vs. Campy. Not trying to start that kind of thread here.

Anyways, I have been a faithful Sram user...from rival to force to eventually RED (2010-2013 Red).

Recently, I got the 11-speed itch and decided to switch to DA 9000 mechanical. Didn't care for Di of Ui 2 at this point in time. I have always been a weight weenie and that was one of the reason why I stayed with sram. But not only for weight reason, I also liked the double tap function as well. I also like the buttery smooth shifting of DA.

Currently, my two bikes (SW Sl4 and SW Venge) are both sub 14 lbs. I will leave my Venge with Sram Red and try the DA on the SL4. Was initially a little concern about weight gain, but I will still be using my 2014 SW cranks and eecycle eebrakes.

Sorry for the long story. I guess I just wanted to hear from anyone who has also made the switch from Sram RED to Dura Ace. Regrets? Thanks.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,667 Posts
One of the most heated debates: Shinano vs. Sram vs. Campy.

Anyways, I have been a faithful Sram user...from rival to force to eventually RED (2010-2013 Red).

Recently, I got the 11-speed itch and decided to switch to DA 9000 mechanical. Didn't care for Di of Ui 2 at this point in time. I have always been a weight weenie and that was one of the reason why I stayed with sram. But not only for weight reason, I also liked the double tap function as well. I also like the buttery smooth shifting of DA.

Currently, my two bikes (SW Sl4 and SW Venge) are both sub 14 lbs. I will leave my Venge with Sram Red and try the DA on the SL4. Was initially a little concern about weight gain, but I will still be using my 2014 SW cranks and eecycle eebrakes.

Sorry for the long story. I guess I just wanted to hear from anyone who has also made the switch from Sram RED to Dura Ace. Regrets? Thanks.
just don't forget you have to make your currently 8/9/10 speed rear wheel 11 speed compatible, if possible. or buy new wheels.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Believe it or not I know someone who has an SW SL4 Tarmac and a Venge (not SW). He has newest Red on the SL4 and DA 9000 on the Venge. He hands down likes the DA better than the Red. He says it it the smoothest quietest system he has ever ridden. He also likes the Venge better than the Tarmac. I havent ridden either of them. Im riding Ui2 (and love it). :)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just don't forget you have to make your currently 8/9/10 speed rear wheel 11 speed compatible, if possible. or buy new wheels.
Thanks for looking out cxwrench. I actually did research that prior. I have a set of Enve 3.4 tubies laced with CKR45s on the way that will be 11 speed compatible. I was considering having my 2012 Zipp 202 tubies (beyond black with the red freehub) sent to zipp to have them re-dished and to replace the freehub. Not sure yet if I will do this or just sell the 202s. The Venge will continue to have the Zipp 303 FC tubies with 10 speed for now. Just testing the waters right now with the 11 speed setup.

Believe it or not I know someone who has an SW SL4 Tarmac and a Venge (not SW). He has newest Red on the SL4 and DA 9000 on the Venge. He hands down likes the DA better than the Red. He says it it the smoothest quietest system he has ever ridden. He also likes the Venge better than the Tarmac. I havent ridden either of them. Im riding Ui2 (and love it). :)
Nice to hear. I was debating between putting the DA 9000 on the Venge or the SL4. In the end, b/c I want the Enve 3.4s (11 speed) to be on the SL4 and keep the Zipp 303s FC ( 10 speed) on the Venge, I am putting the DA 9000 on the SL4.

As for which one I like better....that's another thread altogether. Briefly, the Venge is just outright fast (at least it makes you feel that way :D), but the SL4 is just one of the BEST all around bikes out there...bar none IMO.

BTW: I've heard great things about the Ui2....works great and at a much better price point than the Di2. I was debating between the Ui2, Di2 and mechanical 9000. I might go electronic one day, but for now, happy to stay with mechanical drivetrain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have ridden DA and SRAM both on Venge and Tarmac. As well as Di and Ui on my own and other bikes. Chose DA for my personal 2014 SWorks Venge build. Never have had trouble with 7800 DA, and they tell me 9000 is even nicer.

·
15,667 Posts
Yep, that was a big dealbreaker for me. I hate changing my rear wheel speed...
Were you trying to make a funny?

Shimano has just been at it far longer than SRAM. It's a better more reliable product. Period.
Have you set up a new bike w/ either 6800 or 9000? Shimano seems to really enjoy making things that are a PITA for mechanics. It works incredibly well, but jesus (I hope I didn't offend anyone there) it's a pain to set up the front derailleur.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Front shifting is wonderful on my 9000. To bad, the rear shifting is mediocre, inmo. Doesn't give me the feedback that I like from sram.

I was using red 2012 and then red 22. Rear shifting is wonderful, but front shifting is absolute horrid.

All in all, di2 rules.

·
15,667 Posts
Front shifting is wonderful on my 9000. To bad, the rear shifting is mediocre, inmo. Doesn't give me the feedback that I like from sram.

I was using red 2012 and then red 22. Rear shifting is wonderful, but front shifting is absolute horrid.

All in all, di2 rules.
Whoever is setting up the your front derailleur is doing it wrong. They're somewhat more involved than a standard derailleur, but easier than the new Shimano 11. My YAW derailleur and every one I've set up are fantastic.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Whoever is setting up the your front derailleur is doing it wrong. They're somewhat more involved than a standard derailleur, but easier than the new Shimano 11. My YAW derailleur and every one I've set up are fantastic.
You're probably right, my red 2012 was setup fairly nicely, until I made the switch to red22. The front shifting went a little goofy. Setup aside though and IMO a perfect setup red FD, still lags behind 9000.

·
Ruby
142 Posts
I just upgraded my Synapse from Sram Apex shifters to the new Red and front derailleur from Force to the new Red with Yaw and the front has never shifted better. Quick and quiet. The rear is still Force and shifts with zero issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.