Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite riders to watch. Just finished watching stage 14 into Digne les Bains, and Chavanel attacked yet again with 4 or 5 km to go. Even though these efforts are suicidal, he did it today, yesterday, and at least 2 other times last week -- relentless. He pulled the same move in the Brabanstje Pjil (sp) in Belgium earlier this year and won the race, plus he has had a couple of other wins this season. And you gotta believe he is doing it clean. Chapeaux!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Reminds me a little of Ekimov and Skibby. Ekimov won a stage this way in his first Tour and I recall him saying in the interview: "I hope this is just the beginning." It never worked again though he must have tried over 20 times in his 15 Tours. Skibby would also attack in the last kilometer a huge number of times and only won a single stage this way in his 11 Tours.

So Chavanel should get his stage win one of these years.

-ilan

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chapeaux, Sylvain! On the last chance for any meaningful breakaway in the Tour to succeed, he pulls it off. This guy is all grit and determination. You've got bigger names like Ballan and Pozzato whose teams haven't done squat this Tour, and Chavanel gets into his fifth or sixth break of the Tour and bags a stage win (another) for Cofidis.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
He's going to QS next year; it'll be interesting to see how his career does there. He'll have to take second seat to any race Boonen wants to win, but that shouldn't be a problem seeing how they target different races.

I guess QS wants Chavanel to pick up the reigns of Bettini, who surely must be near the end of his career.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm genuinely happy to see Chavanel win. He's been attacking like that in the Tour for years and had so many close calls. Makes things interesting like Jackie Durand used to. The funny thing is it's an exhausting way of racing and it would be interesting to see how he would do in a GT if he rode more conservatively because the guy has a lot of talent.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
fornaca68 said:
This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite riders to watch. Just finished watching stage 14 into Digne les Bains, and Chavanel attacked yet again with 4 or 5 km to go. Even though these efforts are suicidal, he did it today, yesterday, and at least 2 other times last week -- relentless. He pulled the same move in the Brabanstje Pjil (sp) in Belgium earlier this year and won the race, plus he has had a couple of other wins this season. And you gotta believe he is doing it clean. Chapeaux!
I've been following him for years now. Every year I used to pick him as my wild card breakaway rider and he burned me every stinking time. The one year I don't do a tour fantasy league he finally comes in.

I'm really happy for him. He's a gutsy rider.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Chavanel's post stage interview was interrupted by the news that Romain
Feillu had crossed the line outside the time limit. Chavanel asked by
how much and when he was told 9 minutes, he had a big smile as if to
say, man I really hammered!

The interview became even more strange when Jalabert asked him why he
wasn't riding in the Olympics, and Chavanel said because of the
pollution, that he had been eaten alive in Athens because of it and
didn't want to repeat. Then Jalabert kept insisting saying that there
would be pollution but also medals and that the pollution would be the
same for everyone, basically hammering the point that Chavanel is not
too bright.

-ilan

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
ilan said:
ChThen Jalabert kept insisting saying that there
too bright.
Some people react differently to pollution. He might suffer more than others and have lingering effects. Seems to me that be has a pretty valid reason if this were the case. I've got exercised induced asthma and poor air quality can really do a number on my lungs.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
ilan said:
Chavanel's post stage interview was interrupted by the news that Romain
Feillu had crossed the line outside the time limit. Chavanel asked by
how much and when he was told 9 minutes, he had a big smile as if to
say, man I really hammered!

The interview became even more strange when Jalabert asked him why he
wasn't riding in the Olympics, and Chavanel said because of the
pollution, that he had been eaten alive in Athens because of it and
didn't want to repeat. Then Jalabert kept insisting saying that there
too bright.

-ilan
Don't think anyone's ever accused Sylvain of being a brilliant tactitian but he's talented by gum.

·
Registered
53 Posts
slightly off-topic. How lame is Cofidis's kit with the phone number of the Cofidis bank plastered all over the jersey? Do they really think someone is going to see the jersey and pick up the phone and call to open an account?

French people are so.....French.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Einstruzende said:
He's going to QS next year; it'll be interesting to see how his career does there. He'll have to take second seat to any race Boonen wants to win, but that shouldn't be a problem seeing how they target different races.

I guess QS wants Chavanel to pick up the reigns of Bettini, who surely must be near the end of his career.

Chavanel, Boonen, Steegmans... too many sprinters in the kitchen! Then again, Steegmans has shown his a primetime leadout man, but maybe not a finisher in this tour.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think that Jalabert's point (which was left unsaid) is that Chavanel is coming out this Tour with incredible form, possibly the strongest rider of the 3rd week, so should go to the Olympic games, the road race is in 10 days.

-ilan

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
DASS said:
slightly off-topic. How lame is Cofidis's kit with the phone number of the Cofidis bank plastered all over the jersey? Do they really think someone is going to see the jersey and pick up the phone and call to open an account?

I like the phone number on the jersey. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
DASS said:

Even more lame are French people trying to be American: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl2_x7K58PU

-ilan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.