Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on a lot of the older classic bikes the symbols from playing cards ie. Spade, Club, Heart, Diamond what significance do these symbols have in cycling?

I know Colnago has the clover tubes, but that only explains one symbol for one manufacturer.

Thanks.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
The great Italian bike builders were all Kenny Rogers fans.

· Registered
614 Posts
all wrong.....

The great Italian framebuilders were big on attaching playing cards to the forks and seatstays using a clothespin. The sound, not the ride, is what they were after.....

If you see someone doing this with cards from a Tarot deck, beware!

· Registered
394 Posts
De Rosa

I cant recall where I saw it but I am pretty sure De Rosa uses Hearts and diamonds to say that they put their heart into the frame and teh diamond part of the headbadge is a reference to the diamante, or diamond-shaped, chainstays on their steel models.

Takmanjapan

· Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
velonews said:
Dear Lennard,
Do you know why many bicycle manufacturers (especially the Italian and small custom builders) decorate their frames and lugs with the four symbols on playing cards? Colnago’s clubs, DeRosa’s Hearts, Richard Sach’s using all four, etc¡ What is the connection if any?

Dear Gabe,
Well, to start, the Colnago logo is not a “clubs” symbol. It is a flower to celebrate the first Colnago win in a major race, Milan-San Remo. San Remo is the "City of Flowers" because the hillsides there, bathed by the warm and moist air from the Ligurian sea, are covered with greenhouses growing flowers. That's the root of the "flower," although I have to admit it sure looks more like the clubs symbol than it does a flower.

Not a club huh? Ernesto and friends seem to disagree.

The Richard Sachs explanation really makes the most sense for part of the answer, but does not explain all the Italian manuf's use.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I do remember hearing Bicycle playing cards were trying to identify with the latest piece of high tech for the time they came out... and since the modern bicycle was the symbol of modernity and ingenuity for the time... ta da..... The Aristorcats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.