Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to change the stock stem that came with my 08 Synapse 6. I would like to increase the rise from the current stem strictly for more comfort. Any advice on type and model of stems would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the road bike scene. Used to ride many moons ago. Trying to get back into it. Thanks in advance.

TheDarkAce

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you bought your bike locally, then I'd first go to the shop and see about swapping out stems for little or no cost. Since you bought a bike from them, they'll likely be willing to help tweak the final fit.

Another option, if your stem is "flipped down" is to flip it up - this is a quick way to comfort-ize your bike, but your stem may already be up.

If you didn't buy from a shop and don't want to visit one, ebay works well, but you'll need to know what your current stem is as far as length and rise. From this you'll then need to determine what length and rise you want to go to. Then have at it on ebay or online somewhere.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Most bikes come with a stem that has a 6 or 7 degree rise. Look for one with a 17 degree rise. This should raise your stem approx 2 inches, depending on the length. You may find that you like a longer stem when using a higher rise. When I swithed to a higher rise stem, I was using a 100mm. Once I switched, I found a 120mm to feel better. Being higher up, I was able to stretch out a bit more a still feel more comfortable. I'd search ebay for one, just look under stems and type in "17". This should bring up all the 17 degree rise stems. Ritchey makes an excellent stem, but 17 degre rise stems are available from several others also. There are also models that adjust from around 5 degrees to 17 or 18 degrees, though they are heavier and more costly than a non adjustable model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.