Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Madone 4.5 does not share the comfort ride quality that the OCLV Madones offer. If you are looking for light weight, comfort and performance the OCLV Trek is hard to beat. If you can live with more road vibration getting through other carbon frames and Aluminum do just fine. Not all frames being equal in carbon construction, I would compare the ride of the Madone 4.5 more to an Aluminum frame than to the OCLV carbon frames.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've not ridden any of the newer Treks, but I can say that my carbon synapse is by far the smoothest riding bike I've ever ridden. It's far smoother than even the Specialized Roubaix it replaced, which is widely regarded as the king of comfort bikes. The synapse also doesn't seem to give up much, if any performance advantage to pure race bikes. Give one a try- I think you will be impressed!

·
Registered
90 Posts
kneejerk said:
The Madone 4.5 does not share the comfort ride quality that the OCLV Madones offer. If you are looking for light weight, comfort and performance the OCLV Trek is hard to beat. If you can live with more road vibration getting through other carbon frames and Aluminum do just fine. Not all frames being equal in carbon construction, I would compare the ride of the Madone 4.5 more to an Aluminum frame than to the OCLV carbon frames.
I had to laugh after reading the last sentence. Have you ever even ridden a 4.5? Would you compare a trek 5000 carbon frame to an aluminum frame?

I've ridden a handful of the 08 OCLV madones and also an 08 4.5. The main difference I noticed was that the TCT was heavier but have to say the ride was very similar. I'd actually say the 4.5 does just as good of a job as the OCLV frames when it comes to ride quality, the price you're paying goes into weight savings and having it built in the US when it comes to the OCLV frames. All the same processes are used to build the TCT frames as the OCLV, they just have them built overseas to make room for the OCLV frames to be built in the US.

The other difference is that the 4.5/4.7 doesn't have the integrated seat mast, integrated BB, or the integrated headset. While these things are some of the main 'new' things on the madone line you still get the new frame design with the 4.5/4.7. I have to say that the new frame design rides incredibly on any of the madones.. definitely unlike ANY aluminum frame I've ever ridden. I wasn't so sure the first time I rode a 5.1 since it was one of the first few bikes I test rode, but when I tried more of the madones when I was into the 15-30 bike range I was hooked.

With that being said I test road a synapse and while it was a great bike it just didn't 'feel' as nice as the madone. I ended up picking up a 4.5 after test riding about 20-30 bikes. I decided I didn't want the proprietary parts that are on the 5 or 6 series madones even though they're probably great. Also, for the price of the 4.5 I just couldn't beat the value with much else that I rode.

I'm sure both bikes are wonderful, but my vote goes to the 4.5.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.