Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this thread over in Components/Wrenching, but I didn't want to miss anything from the Campy folk. If you have already chimed in over there, I appreciate your input.

Although I have a current model carbon bicycle running Shimano 10s, I still find myself going back to my Columbus TSX, Pinarello Gavia. The ride and responsiveness is just that good. I even recently removed the carbon SP that I had been using for several years, going back to the ferrous Campagnolo Chorus SP with the "sculpting". Perfect.

Now the one drawback is that I am still running Campagnolo Synchro 8s with downtube shifters. O.k. I get the advantage of the shift/brake levers, I have them on the new bicycle, still the quietness and smoothness of the Campy 8s with a nice SRAM PC870 chain is so good. Front and rear derailleurs are Chorus 8 and I have a really good wheelset with Chorus 9sp hubs but spaced for 8 with a Wheels spacer set. Then I have another set of Chorus 8sp sewup wheels and other 8sp winter wheels. I even run a 7sp Sachs FW on the rollers in the winter.

I am looking for suggestions regarding how to move on from the downtube shifters. I'm still more than fine with 8sp but wonder if I should try to find 9sp or 8sp Campagnolo Ergo shifters. It's just my backup training bike so I am not interested in upgrading the entire drivetrain. Also not sure if there are some Campy alternatives from Miche or others.

Thanks for your consideration and advice in advance.​

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
You should be able to seamlessly move from the Syncro to Ergopower 8 speed. The pull is the same I believe and they were sold as far as I know interchangeably. You should be able to get a set on Ebay for <= $100 and might even come close to even if you sold the brake levers and syncros.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts