Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i liked it.. though i missed some of the plot. who wanted who dead and why and who got away w/ what. i did like the set up though.. serious stuff. i like political military intrigue.

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
colker1 said:
i liked it.. though i missed some of the plot. who wanted who dead and why and who got away w/ what. i did like the set up though.. serious stuff. i like political military intrigue.
I saw it and liked it very much. I had hoped it would be nominated for Best Picture but it was not. I was able to make it through the plot okay. But I will admit it's a bit confusing.

Liked the political message too. Based on the memoirs of an ex CIA man.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,256 Posts
I worked on it. If you think the movie you saw was a bit confusing, you should have seen the early drafts. It was also far more radical and provocative in its early incarnations. I must say, though, that the version they shot was by far the best one overall. I personally think it is one of the two or three best films of last year. It doesn't matter, either, that you don't understand it all. The important thing about the film is that it leaves you with a sense of how complex and tangled the modern world is.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
It was a good movie, my gf and I had to talk about it for 5 minutes before finally figuring it all out.

Big complaint is how uneventful it was. You can't deny that the sometimes long, drawn out, boring scenes didn't detract from the movie.

The "f'ed-up-ness" sort of reminds me of Mullholland Dr., but with some order.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I thought this last year was a great one for movies, the last two or three have been pretty lame. I saw a number of movies over the last year and I definitely liked Syriana the best.

Syriana was definitely challenging and confusing, but I appreciated that. I don't want every movie I see to be difficult to digest, but sometimes it can be very refreshing. Confusing; such is the situation over there, our friends and our enemies are often the same people, only the time changes.

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
The "f'ed-up-ness" sort of reminds me of Mullholland Dr., but with some order.
I loved Mulholland Drive, but you know, I had to see it twice before I could figure it out.... and then everything fell into place. I love good art.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Starliner said:
I loved Mulholland Drive, but you know, I had to see it twice before I could figure it out.... and then everything fell into place. I love good art.
I'm happy to repeatedly cycle through the 3 or 4 minuts of the chickadees playing in the bed....on the couch......best part of the movie.

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
Made my head hurt

The movie was too confusing and made my head hurt. Same thing with "The Constant Gardener".

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mapei Roida said:
I worked on it. If you think the movie you saw was a bit confusing, you should have seen the early drafts. It was also far more radical and provocative in its early incarnations. I must say, though, that the version they shot was by far the best one overall. I personally think it is one of the two or three best films of last year. It doesn't matter, either, that you don't understand it all. The important thing about the film is that it leaves you with a sense of how complex and tangled the modern world is.
that's how i felt about it.. though if i understood the plot, i would like it even more. so.. if the cia agent went to beyruth to kill the smart prince, if the hezbollah was an ok w/him, who did that mashawi worked for? why did he torture clooney? what did he want to know ? wasn't it clear clooney was CIA?
the company went to kill the prince, again. why was clooney put on the side? what was his disagreement w/ the US powers? something to do w/ ex cia men rulling the economy of the US.. but i want to know how.. why did clooney go back to ME and stopped the prince caravan? sure, we like that cause we already love the prince but.. why?
why did the advisor/damon trade places w/ the price wife and son? was he an agent too? that would be a great move on the story, to find he is a bad guy but it's not played far enough in the story.
the accident w/ his son is another great force in the story but i coudln't know how it affected the father.. i see him gripping politics, reality and taking sides w/ the prince but i'm sure there should be some clash before that. the father should hate the prince and his politics for bringing his son down and there is a line in that scene w/ the falcon but it didn't move me.. the conflict is big, deep: he could give way to hatred and turn himself out from the world but chose to engages in a political struggle. that is a very strong force, even bigger than clooney's tragedy but .. it doesn't come strong enough. something like that could bring an audience to the movie's knees.
either way, it's nice to see the adult world represented in a movie.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Boardmill said:
I thought this last year was a great one for movies, the last two or three have been pretty lame. I saw a number of movies over the last year and I definitely liked Syriana the best.

Syriana was definitely challenging and confusing, but I appreciated that. I don't want every movie I see to be difficult to digest, but sometimes it can be very refreshing. Confusing; such is the situation over there, our friends and our enemies are often the same people, only the time changes.
the point of the film, for me, is to question this whole "friends and enemies" issue. what i saw was cia men chosing a government in a saudi country who better served US oil deals.
i saw US officials killing a better prince who would take his nation from underdevelopment, political fragility and submission.. i see him being put down so that a puppet could be in charge. the good prince wanted to make the oil money work for his country.cia put him down.
i saw oil as the cause of all things in the ME and not the democracy idiot talk that's been fed to the masses..
i saw a crushed youth w/ no future and no pride, beaten down to their knees, being treated w/ sweetness by al qaeda. who took the future away from those kids? the international oil business.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
You missed part of the story, which is the interplay between Arabs and Persians and Pakastanis.

There was mention of the committee to liberate Iran (don't remember the name exactly) a couple of times, which was basically all big rich guys who wanted the oil. They wanted to install the "bad" prince over the "good" prince for the same reason. Hezbollah is supported by Iran (Persians), my take is that Iran wanted the thwart the assassination of the "good" prince to 1) piss off the USA, and 2) to promote self-determination in the region.

For me the theme of the movie was how everyone in it was corrupted by the end.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mohair_chair said:
You missed part of the story, which is the interplay between Arabs and Persians and Pakastanis.

There was mention of the committee to liberate Iran (don't remember the name exactly) a couple of times, which was basically all big rich guys who wanted the oil. They wanted to install the "bad" prince over the "good" prince for the same reason. Hezbollah is supported by Iran (Persians), my take is that Iran wanted the thwart the assassination of the "good" prince to 1) piss off the USA, and 2) to promote self-determination in the region.

For me the theme of the movie was how everyone in it was corrupted by the end.
the CLI.. they mention it repeatedly but not the iranian support to hezbollah. i like complex set ups as long i figure it out somehow along the movie otherwise.. btw, some dialogues are TOO smart. why quote torture tecniques? movies have too much dialogue. i prefer the silent types.

not everyone.. the al qaeda is not corrupt. clooney/ cia is just ignorant. damon/ advisor plays sincere (but i still have doubts over that character and damon didn't help me there)

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
colker1 said:
the CLI.. they mention it repeatedly but not the iranian support to hezbollah. i like complex set ups as long i figure it out somehow along the movie otherwise.. btw, some dialogues are TOO smart. why quote torture tecniques? movies have too much dialogue. i prefer the silent types.

not everyone.. the al qaeda is not corrupt. clooney/ cia is just ignorant. damon/ advisor plays sincere (but i still have doubts over that character and damon didn't help me there)
al quaeda corrupts the kids and turns them into suicide bombers.

after being cut loose, clooney threatens the CLI lawyer guy, then does the opposite of his original mission and tries to save the prince.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mohair_chair said:
al quaeda corrupts the kids and turns them into suicide bombers.

after being cut loose, clooney threatens the CLI lawyer guy, then does the opposite of his original mission and tries to save the prince.
hmmm! he was a lawyer of CLI.. but why did mashawi turned back on clooney and why did the CIA let it happen? why the change of plans? this is the main plot and i couldn't get it. though i really liked the film.. very special. better than traffic even.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,256 Posts
colker: My brain doesn't want to get into gear to answer all your questions, but the reason why Iran hires Mashawi to torture Clooney is because Iran seeks revenge for the assassination Clooney did on the streets of Tehran at the beginning of the film.

As for the reason why the Palestinians rescue Clooney, the story doesn't quite make it clear. But it is implied that the Palestinian honcho gave his word to Clooney that he'd be safe, and the honcho is a man of honor. Finally, the probable reason the CIA doesn't step in to protect Clooney is because it simply doesn't have the wherewithal to do it. It was a dangerous assignment. Clooney knew he'd be out in the cold.

In any case, one of the strengths of the film is the fact that the various story threads all don't end up tied together in a pretty bow. There's an organic messiness to the narrative that makes it feel that much more convincing.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mapei Roida said:
colker: My brain doesn't want to get into gear to answer all your questions, but the reason why Iran hires Mashawi to torture Clooney is because Iran seeks revenge for the assassination Clooney did on the streets of Tehran at the beginning of the film.

As for the reason why the Palestinians rescue Clooney, the story doesn't quite make it clear. But it is implied that the Palestinian honcho gave his word to Clooney that he'd be safe, and the honcho is a man of honor. Finally, the probable reason the CIA doesn't step in to protect Clooney is because it simply doesn't have the wherewithal to do it. It was a dangerous assignment. Clooney knew he'd be out in the cold.

In any case, one of the strengths of the film is the fact that the various story threads all don't end up tied together in a pretty bow. There's an organic messiness to the narrative that makes it feel that much more convincing.
yup.. now the director owes you another ten bucks for working a bit more on his movie.

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
Boardmill said:

Yes, it's confusing. Maybe the reason why it is confusing is that it is a story essentially told by Bob Baer. Could be there was stuff happening behind the scenes that he was not aware of at the time and still cannot account for.

Like Mulholland Drive, Syriana leaves doors open. In this modern movie world of neatly tied up ends and happy endings it can be refreshing to see a movie that challenges its audience and leaves a few questions unanswered. Much like real life.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
il sogno said:
Yes, it's confusing. Maybe the reason why it is confusing is that it is a story essentially told by Bob Baer. Could be there was stuff happening behind the scenes that he was not aware of at the time and still cannot account for.

Like Mulholland Drive, Syriana leaves doors open. In this modern movie world of neatly tied up ends and happy endings it can be refreshing to see a movie that challenges its audience and leaves a few questions unanswered. Much like real life.
it was brave to bring politics so upfront in the dialogues; to portray al qaeda as more than evil incarnated. the scene w/ the mullah talking politics, state x religion won't certainly raise box office but it gives a different class and respect to the movie. you can't condemm or aplud the film unless politics and capitalism are discussed. that makes it special. it affects the audience, taking us beyond the entertainment deal or the crazy young i don't care way.

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
colker1 said:
it was brave to bring politics so upfront in the dialogues; to portray al qaeda as more than evil incarnated. the scene w/ the mullah talking politics, state x religion won't certainly raise box office but it gives a different class and respect to the movie. you can't condemm or aplud the film unless politics and capitalism are discussed. that makes it special. it affects the audience, taking us beyond the entertainment deal or the crazy young i don't care way.
What made an impression on me most was the part where they talk about keeping the oil rich nations down. How we encourage their rulers to spend their money on $50,000/night hotel rooms and lavish parties instead of investing in infrastructure for their country. Roads, schools, sanitation, power plants, etc.

This way we get to buy the oil at bargain basement prices. The people of the oil rich nations never get around to industrialization - building factories and such which would have them competing with us for their own oil. Blew my mind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts