Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. I know that these types of questions become pretty redundant pretty quickly, but I just put a deposit down on a SystemSix frameset and I'm having a little bit of a dilemma. I am fairly short (5'6") and have a slightly longer torso/shorter legs. I am between sizes (50 and a 52) and dont really know whether to go with a smaller frame and run a longer stem and more seat post or a larger frame. The frame is going to be used for racing so handling is an issue. I know many pro racers prefer to ride smaller frames because of their racier feel and nimble handling characteristics. This is prob. going to be my main bike for a while so i just want to get the sizing right (if it means anything, im probably nearly done growing - short parents). thoughts?? thanks in advance for any responses and sorry for the redundant nature of the thread!!!!!

Jon

· Registered
180 Posts
stwok said:
A longer stem would help put more of your weight over the front wheel/axle. Which would be benefical in high speed turns.
Size the bike based on your torso and less so on your leg length. If your torso size would generally require the larger bike, then buy it. To me, sizing is all about the top-tube and stem length. One other consideration needs to be saddle to handlebar drop. As long as your saddle does not end up way to low relative to the handlebars, you should go with the size that relates best to your torso. Then adjust the stem length and rise/drop to fine tune your position.

As far as handling goes, as long as you are in the ball park, I don't think there will be a large benefit to going with a smaller bike. My guess is that the wheel base and trail of the two sizes is identical.

I have had bikes with too short of a top tube, requiring a long stem, and it was no fun. The bike never felt right.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting thoughts. thanks. i ordered a 50 so i think ill give that a go and see how it works out. if im experiencing discomfort, ill see if i can swich it out for the 52. anyway, thanks again for the replies.. it seems like a longer stem is going to be a must though..

· glutton for punishment
684 Posts
ECXkid04 said:
interesting thoughts. thanks. i ordered a 50 so i think ill give that a go and see how it works out. if im experiencing discomfort, ill see if i can swich it out for the 52. anyway, thanks again for the replies.. it seems like a longer stem is going to be a must though..
I was told there are no 52 SystemSix frames left... and word is there will be no SysSix in 09.

How long a stem are we talking about?

· Registered
1,894 Posts
If Cannondale ran out of System Six frame is that mean we are getting Super Six frame as warrenty replacement ?

· Registered
180 Posts
zamboni said:
If Cannondale ran out of System Six frame is that mean we are getting Super Six frame as warrenty replacement ?
Probably. I have seen others get upgrades during warrenty replacement. Cannondale has a reputation of being pretty good on warrenty.

· glutton for punishment
684 Posts
Or you could just be SOL until they start production of whatever they have slotted at that pricepoint (revamped Six13?)

Shimano is currently out of stock of 7801 shifters but I doubt they'll be bumping warranty claims up to 7900 if it arrives first.

To get back on topic, there isn't much difference between the 50 and 52 sizes, but it all depends on how your 5'6" is distributed (long femurs? long torso?) I'm 174cm with a long torso/ short femurs and just went from a 52 SysSix to a 54 SuperSix. 120mm stem instead of 130, no spacers instead of 20mm, less post showing and slightly different saddle position on the same setback seatpost and my contact points are kept the same. While the shorter stem usually means slightly quicker handling, this is offset by a longer front-center distance on the 54 and the fact that trail remains the same between sizes. However, the bike is in a slightly different place beneath me.

One tip - get your saddle in the right place before you automatically put a longer stem on there. The 50cm has a pretty steep seat angle at 74.5deg. and you'll likely need a post with significant setback.

· glutton for punishment
684 Posts
ECXkid04 said:
Peterpen, where/when did you hear that cdale was out of 52cm systems? I think i am a little big for a 50 and would be hugely dissapointed if i couldnt change my order to a 52.. thanks.
Cdale rep - and one who knows what he's talking about. However, I was looking for a frameset - they might have complete bikes still.
Basically, this is a tough time to get exactly what you want since everybody is trying to run down stock before 09 production starts.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah. that makes sense. im only looking for a frameset too since my bike got run over by a car.. i guess ill be making a trip to the LBS to see what i can do (if anything) about changing my order. thanks.

· Registered
659 Posts
ECXkid04 said:
Hey.. I know that these types of questions become pretty redundant pretty quickly, but I just put a deposit down on a SystemSix frameset and I'm having a little bit of a dilemma. I am fairly short (5'6") and have a slightly longer torso/shorter legs. I am between sizes (50 and a 52) and dont really know whether to go with a smaller frame and run a longer stem and more seat post or a larger frame. The frame is going to be used for racing so handling is an issue. I know many pro racers prefer to ride smaller frames because of their racier feel and nimble handling characteristics. This is prob. going to be my main bike for a while so i just want to get the sizing right (if it means anything, im probably nearly done growing - short parents). thoughts?? thanks in advance for any responses and sorry for the redundant nature of the thread!!!!!

Jon

My sister-in law had the same problem.. between sizes on that exact frame.. she went with the 52...

YMMV

goodluck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.