Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'll admit i usually pay closer attention to stoplights and stop signs than other riders. But this is a situation I've been wondering about. At a T intersection, a cyclist has a huge shoulder or bike lane across the top of the T. Cyclist has red light - any harm in just continuing through it? Doesn't seem unsafe to me at all.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Oh, here we go again

You're going to start another one of these, huh? I'll say only this: Obviously it can be perfectly safe, since the cyclist is not crossing the path of any traffic. Caveats: (1) a driver turning left may not be able to judge clearly whether the cyclist is in the travel lane or on the shoulder, and so may feel forced to alter speed, so I don't do it in that situation -- it's potentially interfering with someone who has the right-of-way; (2) drivers may see this as illegal behavior, and some cyclists think that increases disrespect for all cyclists -- who knows?

I do it, but if there's any trafic I do it slowly and with adequate communication of my intentions. If there's nobody there, zoom.

·
il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
Once, at a T-intersection, I nearly got T-boned - and would you believe by another cyclist. Come right on through, dude, the lights red for you but that's okay ...
I maintain that obeying red lights and stop signs in the city is good PR - let's motorists know we're all in this together. But I think I'm in a minority.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
What would you do in your car?

Same road. Same rules.

If a separate, marked bike lane is in effect, it will be marked appropriately.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I'd bet most riders blow through if there aren't any cars coming, I'm guilty of it too. As stated above, auto rules apply here. I can imagine someone in a car panicking and steering the wrong way and getting hit, so if there is a car coming, I will always either stop, or slow down to make sure they're ahead of me.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
In wisconsin there's a new statute that allows Cyclists to cross Red Lights after 45 seconds of waiting and there's "clearance" in sight.

·
I don't exist
2,036 Posts
Listen to this person! A bike IS A vehicle & subject to the SAME rules as a Car.

danl1 said:
What would you do in your car?

Same road. Same rules.

If a separate, marked bike lane is in effect, it will be marked appropriately.

·
Registered
885 Posts
jasper9 said:
Ok, so I'll admit i usually pay closer attention to stoplights and stop signs than other riders. But this is a situation I've been wondering about. At a T intersection, a cyclist has a huge shoulder or bike lane across the top of the T. Cyclist has red light - any harm in just continuing through it? Doesn't seem unsafe to me at all.

Thoughts?
Car approaching T intersection across the top of the 'T' w/red light or stop sign, no one is coming, just continues through. Not unsafe at all. What are your thoughts about that?

Same for bicycle. Bicycle = vehicle.

--------------------------------------

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
While leaving the city I leave in to go to work each day, there is a "no turn on red" intersection right before the freeway entrance. I turn right at that intersection every day.

I think the sign is a left over from when there used to be a very large building on the left side of the road, which obstructed the view of traffic coming across from the left. However about two years ago they tore down the building and it's just a grass lot now. Clear view in all directions now.

I should petition city council about removing the restriction ...

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Sometimes it's OK to violate the literal words of the law as long as the intent is followed. As long as it can be done safely, crossing the top of the T on a bike is OK. I watched a County Sheriff vehicle cross the double yellow line to pass me and then do the same to pass a few other cyclists. Technically, the deputy was in violation of the law, but it was safe to pass the way he did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.