Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two winters and about 10k mi crappy/sunny/rainy/wintery commuting I:

a - need a new rear wheel (long story)
b - have heard different things from different LBSs about my T11 rear hub - it is making some grumbling
c - had to have my front t11 adjusted because of some odd play - this hub is also feel like it needs some love but not very bad - something about the axle cones being loose? i should probably listen better.

I was hoping to keep my rear hub and build that up with an Archetype 36h (I'm about 220 and ride loaded 50%). Was going to get it hand built locally.

But now that potentially both hubs need some servicing I'm wondering if I should just buy a cheap machine built Archetype wheelset off a site like Velomine for 250 with 105 hubs. I'm wondering if the T11 is just not made for the crappy winter weather abuse I'm dishing to it.

Or is it that any hub would need servicing after an abusive 10k miles? I'm wondering if I should stick with these T11's - get them serviced in the Spring - and then buy a cheap wheelset off Velomine for winter-specific salty riding.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Replace the bearings with some Phil Wood bearings instead. The seals are a bit better on them and will hold up in all weather better. It's not enough of a big deal for most, but when someone wears out bearing on a regular basis the PW bearings can solve it.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Or is it that any hub would need servicing after an abusive 10k miles? I'm wondering if I should stick with these T11's - get them serviced in the Spring - and then buy a cheap wheelset off Velomine for winter-specific salty riding.
It's very easy to replace bearings in the WIs, as easy as servicing 105 hubs. And like Eric said, the PW bearings will last longer in those conditions.

On the other hand salt and wet are hard on bearings, threads, finishes, etc. It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a cheap set for those conditions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts