Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a WI T11 hub here rear that's clicking loudly. The more weight I put on it the louder the clicking.

I'd like to get the thing overhauled (either learn or have LBS do it) but I need it for commuting right now while another wheelset is getting built up. The hub takes 3 6902 and 1 3802w bearings.

Q: I realize it's tough to discern this without opening the thing up - but am I damaging the hub by riding it like this? I'm assuming the worst case is that somehow one of the cartridge bearings opened up? It's a consistent clicking.

I have a new wheelset due in about 3 weeks - can I ride it that long or should I just bite the bullet and get it overhauled immediately? Hopefully once I get the new wheels I can sell these T11's.

·
Registered
734 Posts
http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/30d/138/249/REAR_HUB_ADJUSTMENT.pdf

It really couldn't be much easier to service a T11 than it is. Open it up, feel the bearings for grittiness, make sure the preload is set as described in the instructions, and you're good to go. If you don't replace the bearings, tools required are 1x2mm hex wrench, time required is about 5 minutes.

Check to make sure it's not your skewer that's the problem.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
+1 on the skewer......I chased a noise on one of my bikes that seemed to be from the hubs and it turned out to be a skewer being too tight. The T11s haven't been out that long, so pretty sure you haven't worn them out. You didn't mention where you commute but if the hubs are getting wet often, you may need new bearings. A new set of bearings is a lot cheaper than new wheels.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Got a WI T11 hub here rear that's clicking loudly. The more weight I put on it the louder the clicking.

I'd like to get the thing overhauled (either learn or have LBS do it) but I need it for commuting right now while another wheelset is getting built up. The hub takes 3 6902 and 1 3802w bearings.

Q: I realize it's tough to discern this without opening the thing up - but am I damaging the hub by riding it like this? I'm assuming the worst case is that somehow one of the cartridge bearings opened up? It's a consistent clicking.

I have a new wheelset due in about 3 weeks - can I ride it that long or should I just bite the bullet and get it overhauled immediately? Hopefully once I get the new wheels I can sell these T11's.
You will be fine riding it for 3 weeks assuming it is just a bearing issue.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Is there any correlation between when the click happens and your pedaling?

It was a different brand hub but the only time I had clicking in a rear hub it happened at about 3 o'clock in my pedal stroke and turned out to be a toasted bearing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1 on the skewer...
Thanks for the advice folks! I bought a new skewer set and tightened the cassette down and all is well with the world!

On a side note - is this cheap skewer ok? Is there something better and affordable? I'm not a big fan of how the tab thingy bends outward. Pic on amazon is not how they showed up... XLC Quick Release Skewers

Iron Still life photography Silver

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
A little grease on the faces of the dropouts and where the spindle of the hub seats in the dropout never hurts either, especially in the apparently foul conditions you ride in (I'm from FL and we don't have to deal with snowy slush, etc. in our relatively balmy climate). WI hubs are pretty durable so it would be a shame to sell them just because a skewer was squeaking/creaking.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks for the advice folks! I bought a new skewer set and tightened the cassette down and all is well with the world!

On a side note - is this cheap skewer ok? Is there something better and affordable? I'm not a big fan of how the tab thingy bends outward. Pic on amazon is not how they showed up... XLC Quick Release Skewers

View attachment 313453
Do yourself a favor and get a good closed cam QR, like Shimano or Campy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts