Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

T11s + Archetypes + CX-Rays - New LBS built wheelset.

10K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  boneman 
#1 ·
I first started looking around for a "nice" wheelset a few months ago, but since I didn't have the money at the time, the powers that be forced me to research my options, else I'd have gotten a set of Ksyrium Elites and called it a day.

Long story short, I ended up with H+Son Archytypes laced to WI T11s, with Sapim CX-ray spokes. The rear wheel is laced 2-cross on the drive side with brass nipples while the NDS is radial with alloy nipples. The front is radially laced all the way using all alloy nipples; I weigh about 160lb, so I think this should all be good. Weight of the wheelset is over 1400 grams, however I don't recall the exact numbers, it was a quick weigh.

Since these are fair weather only wheels, I have yet to ride them in the crap we've had lately here in the "wet coast"; plus the bike they're supposed to go on isn't quite ready yet, either.

Here's some pics I took with my phone.

View attachment 274535 View attachment 274536 View attachment 274537 View attachment 274538 View attachment 274539

#6 ·
I have the exact same spoke/rim combo but Alchemy hubs and like them a lot. They ride great compared to what I had before which was the same thing with Kinlin 270 rims. I'm about 150 and ride some pretty crappy roads and they've held up good. They should serve you well.

FYI, that black brake track is eventually going to be silver. It'll look spotty and pretty ugly at first but eventally just like any other black rim/silver brake track.

#11 ·
Wow. Great looking build.
Thank you.

We have a few of these exact same builds on the chopping block as we speak. Can't wait to get them laced up.
The shop that built them couldn't wait, either. I'd asked them to take their time since they had a few HED Belgium sets to build before mine, I was surprised when they did it the next day out of their own excitement heh.

#17 ·
While we're at it, I'm wondering if you guys could help me with choosing a set tires for these, I'm about to order some from Ribble. Normally I'd just put some Gatorskins on there, but this isn't a normal wheelset for me. I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

Conti GP4000S
Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp (non slick)
Michelin Pro Race 4 Service Course

I want comfortable, fast tires that are also reasonably cut/puncture resistant and are only a bit over 200g. These will be regular riding tires and not race day rubber. Since I already have experience with Conti the GP4000S would be my default choice, but I'm willing to give something new a try. I live in a very wet area so grip in rainy conditions would be a huge consideration.

#19 ·
Conti GP4000S
Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp (non slick)
Michelin Pro Race 4 Service Course
My vote goes to Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. I have a pair in 700x25 since 02/2011 and they 're great. Low rolling resistance, super comfortable at 100psi, they hold well in wet, glass won't cut them easily so punctures are rare and wear is good so far. There's nothing not to love about them!

They weigh in at 229g (front) and 239g (rear) on my kitchen scale.

#22 ·
Wheels look great. I hear those are great rims, and I already know the hubs and spokes are proven.

This was one of my options as well...for all-round wheels...training, centuries, climbing, and racing if I dare. I don't know much about lacing, but great rims, hubs, and spokes. I could not decide for a couple of weeks. It drove me nuts. I decided to splurge and go with the DA 7900, HED C2 Belgium rims, and CX Ray spokes as well...basically the components that intrigued me the most. I went with 32-spoke hubs both back and front. I figured since I was using a relatively compliant spoke in the CX Ray, it would be compliant enough and yet stiff enough for the fast mountain descents and the climbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.