Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a TT coming up this weekend, and I think there will be some strange logistics going on, and want some advice. I've only done one TT before anyway, so it's all really new but, this is 6 laps for a total of 13.2 miles. With riders starting every 30 seconds, and lap times likely to be around 5 minutes, people will still be starting when I come past the start/finish.

I'm guessing it's just like passing people in a normal TT, just don't get too close and keep hammering past them, but isn't this course going to get very congested?

Anything special to keep in mind for this type of course? With the amount of turns in a short area, I'm wondering if I'll really get a chance to use the aero bars, or if it would be better to just leave them off.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Focus

I did one very similar to this in Alabama the beginning of the month.

imetis said:
...With riders starting every 30 seconds...
You need to stay focused on your time trial and don't get lured into the urge to chase down rabbits. Take off, set your rhythm, and stay focused on your performance. The course I was on was littered with other riders and if you paid attention to them you would get distracted from your own performance. My son who is a stronger rider than me lacks the mental discipline to focus as well as he should in a TT and as a result we tied for second. Getting tied by the old man shut him up for a couple of days.

imetis said:
...Anything special to keep in mind for this type of course? With the amount of turns in a short area, I'm wondering if I'll really get a chance to use the aero bars, or if it would be better to just leave them off.
Use the aero bars when you can as long as you can get in and out of them cleanly. Hopefully the corners will be sweeping enough to allow you to stay in your aerobars and take them at speed so you do not have to accellerate out of each one. Stay inside to the extent possible to minimize the overall distance.

imetis said:
...this is 6 laps for a total of 13.2 miles...
When you follow "Fixed"'s advice also determine a lap time goal for yourself. Should be consistent from lap to lap so you will know if you are going out too hard. The variance in my lap times was only 7 seconds.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
practice

Keeping up with Junior said:
You need to stay focused on your time trial and don't get lured into the urge to chase down rabbits. Take off, set your rhythm, and stay focused on your performance. The course I was on was littered with other riders and if you paid attention to them you would get distracted from your own performance. My son who is a stronger rider than me lacks the mental discipline to focus as well as he should in a TT and as a result we tied for second. Getting tied by the old man shut him up for a couple of days.

Use the aero bars when you can as long as you can get in and out of them cleanly. Hopefully the corners will be sweeping enough to allow you to stay in your aerobars and take them at speed so you do not have to accellerate out of each one. Stay inside to the extent possible to minimize the overall distance.
Agree. Plus, I'd try to go there and practice on the actual course. Take your HRM and ride several laps at your anticipated TT pace in your full actual TT garb, tires, bike, etc. Then, come race day, try to keep the same speed for the first 3/4's of the race, unless conditions are different. Of course, then you can practice on the turns, too, trying to stay in the aerobars at higher and higher speeds.

I would forget about everyone else. You're not going to psyche anyone out, and attemting t do so could more likely just blow it for yourself.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips!
The turns turned out to be not a problem, there was one 90* turn that I got out of the aero bars for and the rest were fine.
The course was very busy, especially just before the start/finish, for some reason people clumped up there.
The biggest problem were the people sitting up to take a drink on the yellow line as I'm trying to pass, or getting stuck behind people through the narrow lane next to the finish chute, and finally the ass hat who entered the chute just in front of me and sat up and coasted through the line.
33.15 or about 24 MPH average for 7th place. Not bad for my second road event ever, with no special aero gear other than the clip on bars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.