Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got tacx cages and some tacx source bottles(bottles come with the carbon tacx cages) The problem is they are a super tight fit. So tight i am afraid of breaking the cage.
I haven't had any luck adjusting the cage, becuase it is so thin if i bend on it i hear that scary sound of aluminum failing. Ant thoughts? i don't really want to grind on them. Do they loosen up over time or is this just the way they are???

· Registered
376 Posts
Super tight??

Sort of opposite of my experience. I happen to like the Tao cages. Look nice, and I have had no issues with durability. Obviously the Tacx bottles fit great, but I prefer specialized bottles and these work fine. Just a little loose.

During the summer I use Polar bottles, and they are WAY loose.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not alone

I have been looking thru my cycling mags, i have seen more tacx cages with tacx bottles not pushed in all the way. Same as mine, they stick up about an inch, to get it in further you have to push really hard. I am settling on just letting them stick up a bit.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
best bottles to use with tacx tao

b987654 said:
I just got tacx cages and some tacx source bottles(bottles come with the carbon tacx cages) The problem is they are a super tight fit. So tight i am afraid of breaking the cage.
I haven't had any luck adjusting the cage, becuase it is so thin if i bend on it i hear that scary sound of aluminum failing. Ant thoughts? i don't really want to grind on them. Do they loosen up over time or is this just the way they are???
The tao is a great design, especially on rough roads, as conventional style cages get loose as the weight of the bottle bounces and vibrates, making it necessary to squash the cage back to make it tight again. However, as you know, you need the right bottles. The best bottles are the Elite brand, they fit perfectly.

· RoadBikeReview Member
162 Posts
Use Specialized bottles

Same experience. The Tacx bottles are way too tight. I was afriad it would ripe the cage and/or damage the bottle boss on the carbon frame.

Tried a Specialized bottle on hand, slides on with a right amount of grip. I like the wider bottle tops of Specialzed bottles anyway - easy cleaning.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
The rubber washer on my Tao disintegrated- rendering it a floppy mess . Of course it is on my rain bike- still, it was the first cage I 've had to fail...

cthomas said:
Sort of opposite of my experience. I happen to like the Tao cages. Look nice, and I have had no issues with durability. Obviously the Tacx bottles fit great, but I prefer specialized bottles and these work fine. Just a little loose.

During the summer I use Polar bottles, and they are WAY loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.