Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got back on the bike for a short ride today, round trip total was about 37.5 miles or so. Weather finally cleared up a bit, only had a few raindrops fall, just wanted to take a ride and look at some of the local flooding.

Preview of coming attractions:

The Ozaukee Interurban trail meanders thru local towns and the bike path meanders on and off the old small inter-urban railway, this is typical of it which I've posted portions before in previous ride reports:

Pic of foot over moving pavement (seems to be a RBR requirement to post at least one of these)

Short break in trail, time for a neighborhood meander, no pics of the neighborhood

Past the neighborhood and up over the freeway

And here's where the trail would have come out were it not for some real estate legal issue that I don't know the story of

(time to post and start the next upload)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A nearby flooded roadway

Where I found this little fellow laying in the road

"Little" being a relative term, I think he's a bullfrog tadpole, here he is next to my size 12-13 shoe

He didn't want to be picked up so I just rolled him along with my shoe back into the water

Where he swam away

just in the nick of time as this kid in the pickup came flying through the water, I back up and he only got a little spray on my bike and my shoes, kids having fun in the water with their trucks

(time to do the upload dance)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And time for me to continue my ride and to quit playing in the water

Gotta watch out for cross traffic around here

A private farm's own Field of Dreams family baseball field

Bicycle trail driveway artwork

And more artwork in the same driveway

(everybody do the upload dance)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Further down the trail and down a gradual hill you come to a bridge over a river not called The River Kwai

The river is full, beyond full, spilling over the banks locally (good thing I've got no money in those banks)

The telephone pole is normally on dry ground in a small island in the river

Good thing those folks have a boat on the garage wall

bridge structure pic

this bridge is kind of neat in that when you ride over it he planks rattle and rumble as if you were driving a 10-ton truck

I believe they have plans to do some work on the bridge someday

meager attempt at artsy bridge pic with water flowing below

(dance dance dance the upload dance)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Across the bridge and across the riverside roadway the trail comes into the town of Grafton, I don't know if there is graft in Graton but there is this barn in a field

And storage units by the trail

and more trail in town

and more trail

and then a stop sign to remind you that the town's traffic has the right of way in this intersection

I didn't take any neighborhood pics of Grafton, so everybody do a tap dance upload dance, tap tap tap while we wait for a car to go past

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of Grafton now and into Cedarburg, here is a Cedarburg firestation of which they have a couple I believe

A bell at the firehouse, and a self portrail since I think those are required in ride reports as well

Yep, it's a real firestation with a real firetruck inside

I like the building next door too, and the flagpole structure up on top of it

(zoom out)

(nope, not going to say it this time,....tap...)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And back to a river, might be the same river a before, might be a different river, but it still has a lot of extra water in it

lots and lots of water

And the old winery building full of an assortment of craft and nicknack and clothing and wine shops inside

And another bridge

One of several trail signs along the trail

(cue the upload music)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out of Cedarburg and into Thiensville, the turn around point for today's ride

Thiensville is downstream of Grafton and Cedarburg so all that earlier water go through here where they've closed the trail

I think they made a wise decison to close the trail at this point, this grassy area is usually dry and has a very small creek in it, not so small today though

(time for a soft shoe shuffle)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Met my wife for dinner in Thiensville where they were having their annual Lion's Fest Festival, this was my dinner. I had a brat and a cola, ignore the ketsup on it, pretend it is red mustard to go with the yellow mustard, or a thick red vitamin foodstuff to fuel my ride back home, it is not ketsup however because I would be drummed out of Wisconsin if I was found wth ketsup on my brat, it is not ketsup (shhhhh, don't tell anyone)

We didn't have any corn today, maybe tomorrow, the Fest runs all weekend

Normally the Lion's Fest is held down in Fireman's Park by the river, but this weekend they decided to move it into downtown

the reason it is downtown this weekend will become obvious shortly

How come there's no bicycles on the Merry Go Round?????

Walked my wife back to her car to continue her drive home while I headed down to the river and Fireman's Park

(okay, how about get ready for a wet shoe shuffle)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is downtown mainstreet in Thiensville, normally the creek level is about 5-9 feet below the street level

But not today

today it looks more like Venice (I'm too tired and wet to know if that's spelled correctly)

This is the parking lot for the local Harley dealership

Yes, looks more like a river than a parking lot today

(and I'm off to do a water shuffle and find myself a way through the flooded streets and down to the riverside park)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And here it is, Fireman's Park down by the river, normally the river's edge is several hundred yards away from the playground here

This guy was having a ball riding his MTB around in the water

The building on the left is a picnic pavilion where we ate last year, the yellow sign is next to a boat launch

Believe it or not there is a overflow dam in the water out there, normally it slows the river into a lake an there is normally at least a 5foot drop on the other side

But today the dam barely even makes it's presence known

Now you know why they moved Lion's Fest downtown this year

(bring out the dancing boats)

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And with that it was time for me to head home, and no I did not follow this guy through town

On the way home I started to dance and had to make a stop

Hope you enjoyed the ride along.
Good night.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Nice report. My ride got rained out this morning so I've just been sitting around drinking coffee and watching the weather Chanel. You guys in the upper mid-west sure have been getting hit hard lately. All that water has to come by here sooner or later, but I don;t think we'll have that much problem.

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rode the motorcycle in to work today and went thru Thiensville, the roads are back open now. River has gone down a foot or three. Amazing how fast things change sometimes.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I love those paths. Out here in Nevada they seem to fight every effort to connect the towns with bikepaths. It's pretty annoying to have to ride a 4 lane freeway to work.

Did Thiensville have a lot of damage? Looks like a lot of the downtown buildings were getting pretty swamped.

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thiensville didn't get it as bad as other areas, I haven't heard any dollar amounts yet. Other places like Fond Du Lac north of me an hour or so was completely under water from what I was told, one person said the football goalposts were covered up to the crossbar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.