Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Karen signed up for Team in Training in February. Here are some shots of her ride.

The plan:
1. Train for a high elevation hilly century in Tahoe.
2. Raise $3000 for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society as a part of the commitment.
3. Ride the century on a single bike; not on the tandem, but under her own power.

The results:
1. Finished the event with a smile on her face
2. Made lots of new friends through TNT
3. Has new found confidence as a cyclist, and is planning more big rides throughout the summer.

My observations:
1. Seeing my wife transition from a once a month rider to an enthusiastic cyclist is the most joyful transformation in our relationship.
2. She's open to coaching, has great form, and wants to learn everything she can about riding.
3. It's a drag not getting to be the first person in the house to have thumbed through the Excel, Colorado Cyclist and Performance catalogs any more.
4. When new gear appears on my bike, she notices... and is jealous... :thumbsup:

Good girl! Love ya!

Emerald Bay climb

In the paceline

Cresting Spooner Summit

Rolling into South Lake Tahoe

I got all verklempt.

It was beautiful.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Great stuff.

I love riding around Lake Tahoe-in addition that is where Miss M and I met (and got married there a year to the day later). Must be something in the water.

Could be time for a second honeymoon.........

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
I second the second honeymoon suggestion. We went to Tahoe for our honeymoon what will be 10 years ago next April. Could be a great time to head back but bring the snowboard this time.

· had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
awesome! thanks for the report Cooper....I just bought my airplane ticket to reno to participate in the "Tour de Tahoe" in sept, super stoked!

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Awesome report Cooper. I've got my photos but haven't prepped them yet. I'll try to get them posted tonight if the stars align properly. I'm glad your lady enjoyed it so much and the ride went so well. We met the New York T.I.N.T.s (I threw in the N :)). They had a paceline about a mile long it seemed but were nice and courteous. Took forever to pass the poor sealevel folks who were sucking air to try and get whatever O2 they could going up to Emerald Bay on Saturday. You guys were very lucky on the weather. That was one of the better early June Tahoe rides that we've done in some time. Absolutely perfect weather! It's freezing up here right now with lots of wind and clouds. Ugh.

Anyway, I was dumb and didn't think about at least meeting you while you were up there. Major faux pas on my part. Maybe next time we can do a ride up to Fallen Leaf Lake or something the day before if you do it again.

· It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Pretty cool report Coop! :thumbsup:

I'm glad that she is taking to riding like that. It can make for some good times.

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DrR.: Courier is your bag, I'm a default font guy. Laziness, no other reason. I need a better camera for capturing the beauty. Maybe a G9 for on the bike usage.

Tony: Thanks for the link to the SCMC on Bikely, looks like a great training route for the third weekend in June. I'll let you know how it goes.

MB1: After all the teenage drama and crap in our lives the last few months, this was like another honeymoon. Don't forget to look us up if you're on the west coast.

BD: Forget the board, bring yer bike

FTF. They are TITs to me.

Mohair: Tighter pacelines were tried, but all it takes is one or two riders to panic over a little gravel and the whole line goes crash. Maybe next season we should have some dirt road workouts. I don't think we can do the Surf City - I think e have that date booked already. Let's ride!

gut: Wish we could pull off Tahoe again, it'll be a great ride for you, and only 70 something miles...

ridgetop: it occurred to me that we shoulda planned something as well- but to tell you the truth, the team aspect sucked up every spare moment. Markleeville in July?

sledgehummer: turning her into a riding buddy has been a great thing. Couldn't have worked out better!

JP: You're the standard to aspire to dood.

· RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
That's just it

MB1 said:
Must be something in the water.
There ain't nothin' in that water. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the bottom at the deepest parts. Well excuse me if that's not 100% accurate, but that's how it seems. Beautiful Tahoe. Nice.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Right on, Coop and Mrs. Coop!

I thought y'alls were sportin the tandem though?

joe

· In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JoeDaddio said:
Right on, Coop and Mrs. Coop!

I thought y'alls were sportin the tandem though?
Karen wanted to do this on her own (fully supported from my perspective). When she signed up for the event that was the plan. Midway into training, her doc cautioned her to avoid riding, except on the tandem. That scenario passed so she was back onto the single for the century. That's what made me get all wet eyed - seeing her finish her first century.

Plus - she was test riding that sweet Ruby for an upcoming review here on RBR.

We'll do some centuries on the tandem this summer, even some touring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.