Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed to Tahoe City this weekend and in light of the possibility the trails will be snowed in I am taking my road bike only. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some ride routes from there?

· Registered
146 Posts
ride around the lake! i think it's about 60 miles or so. good thing you're there this weekend...tahoe century is next weekend. hopefully someone else will be able to chime in who has done the ride, but i'll be there with the crowds next weekend. i hear it's beautiful.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Around the Lake is fine. They were having snow showers I heard this morning. From Tahoe City, my alternative ride with less traffic is to go down the bike path along 89 to Squaw. Jump on 89 (wide shoulder) and ride down into Truckee. Go under the railroad overpass, then under the freeway overpass, and make a left when the road T's at Safeway. Ride west along the road until cross over the freeway. Go over the freeway, through the stop sign and ride west along Donner Lake Road. At the west end of Donner lake is the old highway up to Sugar Bowl (you can see a bridge way at the top). As you climb up you will be getting fantastic views of Donner and the backside of Mt. Rose. At the top you are at Sugar Bowl Ski. You can continue on west for about another 12 miles if I remember correctly to Cisco Grove where the road ends. It's almost a metric century to do this ride, but worth it and you can turn around anywhere you feel like. The alternative is to park at Squaw Valley and follow the same route.

Additionally, you can do a loop by riding east out of Tahoe City on 28/89 to the 267 turnoff and climb up and over 267 to Truckee. Once in Truckee you head west through the old part of town to 89 and then ride back up the river along 89 until you're back in town. One big pass along the route but a shorter ride. The road is very rough on the descent down 267 so watch yourself. The freeze thaw has been horrible on it this year.

If you want to punish yourself you can ride east on 28/89 to Highway 431 in Incline Village and climb up Mt. Rose Highway to the pass at 8900 feet. Big shoulders on 431 with a riproaring downhill on the way back. But it is a very constant and long climb up.

The only other one I can think of is to take Highway 89 out of Tahoe City, through Truckee, and north towards Graeagle. Not my favorite but a little lower in altitude with lots of rollers and trees. You can go as far or as short as you want to.

If I were going to be around I'd more than offer to meet you, but I'm doing the Indian Valley Century ride off of Highway 70 north of Truckee this weekend.

If you have any other questions or need more details on anything let me know.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
The ride's about 72 around the lake. The best day to ride it is the day before the organized century. They have the signage up, lots of other bikers are already letting the cars know you are there, and you don't have to compete with 2500 team in training people. But that's just me :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.