Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another traffic related issue I don't really understand. So I've heard a bunch of stuff about how dangerous it is to drive close to the back of a semi truck. But the way I see it... a semi is the least dangerous thing to tailgate. One reason I've heard is that you can't see what's in front of the truck... but... if there's something blocking the path of you or the truck, it's gonna have a big ol' semi truck shaped hole in it. WTF?

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
You don't know how many whacked out meth-popping truckers claiming Satan was talking to them I treated in an ER right off a main interstate.

Do you really want to tailgate a trucker who might think Satan is following them a little too closely?

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
MWPDX said:
Another traffic related issue I don't really understand. So I've heard a bunch of stuff about how dangerous it is to drive close to the back of a semi truck. But the way I see it... a semi is the least dangerous thing to tailgate. One reason I've heard is that you can't see what's in front of the truck... but... if there's something blocking the path of you or the truck, it's gonna have a big ol' semi truck shaped hole in it. WTF?
It's as safe as you make it. Tuck in close and let the rig punch a hole in the atmosphere for you - it'll get you better gas mileage and it won't be as windy should you roll down your window. Especially good when there's a headwind. Fed Ex trucks are among the best because they haul ass.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I drafted a semi from Little Rock to Dallas one time, about 5 hours, Mileage normally is 28, this leg I got 33. But I was so stressed out the whole time, it's like riding in a tight fast pack, you can't look away at all.

Plus what if he runs over a big ol chunk of tire or board or something and throws it right into your windshield? It ain't worth it.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
You don't know how many whacked out meth-popping truckers claiming Satan was talking to them I treated in an ER right off a main interstate.

Do you really want to tailgate a trucker who might think Satan is following them a little too closely?
Huh? Do you know how hard it is to do that with the DOT these days? I work with alot of drivers and they are good people.
You do realize that without them you would be lacking almost everything you have. It all moved on a truck driven by a professional driver. Your food, clothes, computer and yes even your bike and the parts and materials to build it. Dont label the masses for the few and I mean few that may pull a stunt like that.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
What happens in a crit if you key off the rider's wheel in front of you for turns? Bad stuff. You will always be late in your turns, unless you look ahead to key off the turn itself.

Basically, tailgating a semi (close enough to get a draft) requires you pay total attention to the semi. That takes your attention away from other things... like a big old muffler laying in the road the semi can clear with ease but that will flat your tire or take a chuck out of your undercarriage. Or the accident that happens just over that hill... so the semi tries to avoid it and you don't know wtf the semi is doing so you can't react correctly until it is too late.

All tailgating adds risk, but when it is a semi the risk is higher because the visibility is a lot less than when tailgating a car.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Long ago I had a VW van that would only do about 50 with any kind of head wind. I would tuck in behind a semi and just bomb down the expressway. Did take several unintentional exits though. - TF

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I miss freight trains. They were the schizzle. They didn’t need to worry about getting stuck in traffic. But, inefficiency seizes the day, so yaaaay go truckers!!!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
This thread contains much k()d3...and like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts