Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With shorter days there's a greater risk of getting caught out in the dark. I haven't found a good, quality taillight that will fit or mount to the Madone seat mast. Any suggestions out there?

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
I use one with an adjustable strap on my ridley that has also a integrated seatpost, just like this one

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Salsa_Lover. The current Madone integrated seat masts are teardrop shaped with the narrowest point at the rear. I haven't seen the Blackburn light in person but it looks like the interface between the light/strap and seat mast might allow the light to shift sideways.
Here's a photo of the seat mast...

View attachment 208948

·
Registered
165 Posts
All the Blackburn stuff I've seen is adjustable. Fits my Madone fine. I was told the other day in a group ride my Mars 4 rear flasher was "blinding". Oops, sorry, I'll turn that off.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Mike Prince said:
Many rear lights can also be clipped to a jersey pocket.
this is a good suggestion

also you could get a Fizik Saddle and use this kind of light, fits on the ICS saddlebag slot

·
Hooked On Quack
70 Posts
Cateye LD-610

I use this 5-led light, with variable settings, mounted just below the seat mast collar, on the seat mast proper. The cinch strap neatly fits the mast, but not the collar.
-dg

·
Registered
700 Posts
Was in the same boat with my bike (BH G5). Tested the Knog Beetle and it works.

I can tell you the Knog Boomer and Blackburn Mars 3 will NOT work. A shame since they are very bright rear lights.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
lockwood1 said:
Planet Bike Super Flash:thumbsup:
This. I have one that I slip onto the seat pack tail light straps on my bikes. But you can also mount it to the stay with the included small clamp, or seatpost with the larger clamp.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Salsa_Lover said:
this is a good suggestion

also you could get a Fizik Saddle and use this kind of light, fits on the ICS saddlebag slot

All the reviews I've seen are negative on this one - weak light and cheaply made. Too bad because my saddle is a Fiz'ik.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i wear a planet B super flash on the rear retaining adjustment band of my helmet (giro atmos). I have a madone with the same seatmast and concluded this was the best way to keep the light facing straight aft (assuming your head remains facing directly forward most of the time)

·
Registered
11 Posts
eyezlee said:
The Knog Skink looks like a great little light.
That's what I use on my Madone (well, used anyway, until some sh*t stole it off my commuter when I accidentaly left it on the bike running in to the book store). I have another one on order for my Madone, as well as a dedicated bolt on light for my commuter!!

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
The PB Super Flash is blinding, lol. For more mild night stuff I use their 2w Blaze LED headlamp too, and got the daughter a 1w version as she never does dark night riding, just at dusk. For the mtb or real dark road bike rides I pull out the Nightsun XC dual-beam halogen and just got a 13.2v NiMh battery setup for that. Serious amount of light and very long runtime especially with the 10w low beam, which is brighter anyhow with being run at 10% over.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts