Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
ColoColoPR
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a closer look at how Farrar won today and what really happened. Cavendish goes on the sprint but stays next to Goss, notice that he keeps looking to the left... Well to his left was Goss. Goss looks at Cav, shakes head like saying "I'm done, I tried but I can't", Cav goes all out but goes a little too late to catch Farrar. And Farrar wins.

Now, I'm happy for him to have won the final stage, (I just bought an F5) but I'd prefer if he'd won not because Cavendish wanted to give a chance to his teammate to win the stage as a way to say "thanks for all the effort" but for him to actually beat Cavendish. I just hate his "cockiness".
 

·
Trying to return....
Joined
·
418 Posts
Apparently, Cav had a broken spoke on his rear wheel.

The real thing to do would be to take a closer look at Cav's back wheel to see if there is a broken spoke.
 

·
Yet Vertically Compliant
Joined
·
111 Posts
According to a story on Cycling News, Cavendish is saying that he didn't win the sprint because he'd broken a spoke. And he's whining that Farrar hasn't declared to the media "I only won because of Cav's broken spoke."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,657 Posts
Wait, I'm mixed up.

Was Cavendish 1st loser because Goss was too slow or because he(Cav) had a broken spoke?
 

·
Have good, get give
Joined
·
964 Posts
I think cav was trying to leadout knowing his spoke was gone. Just none of his leadout men had enough to beat farrar even with cav as a leadout.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
Cav didn't win because of that, Tyler didn't win the other day because of this. Five years from now, that big pretty trophy will be sitting on Tyler's mantle. That's what matters.
 

·
Get me to In&Out
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
He broke a spoke and had the rim hitting the pads. He said he was doing 800 watts the last 400m because he knew he needed top four placing to win the points. Bad luck. Look at the sprints Cav won. Tyler isn't even in the same class of sprinting when Cav is on. How many stages did he beat Cav in at Le Tour? I think Cav was angy with Farrars statement:

“Even after Mark Cavendish’s two stage wins, I’ve kept confidence in my capacities of beating him by the end of the Vuelta. That’s part of sprinting, to always believe in yourself,” Farrar said
Making it sound like he beat him on skill, not a mechanical.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,485 Posts
I watched the Univ Sports video again. After they cross the line Cav freewheels for a bit. Doesn't look like he is experiencing any brake rub problems.

A great sprint win for Farrar.
 

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
Not a given that there will be brake rub when freewheeling. 800 W (Boy says so...) does stress a rear wheel ever so slightly.
 

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,505 Posts
kbwh said:
800 W (Boy says so...)
800w for 400m isn't at all unrealistic or bizarre for him to climb. Hell, I can do that and I'm an awful Cat3 sprinter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,135 Posts
spookyload said:
He broke a spoke and had the rim hitting the pads. He said he was doing 800 watts the last 400m because he knew he needed top four placing to win the points. Bad luck. Look at the sprints Cav won. Tyler isn't even in the same class of sprinting when Cav is on. How many stages did he beat Cav in at Le Tour? I think Cav was angy with Farrars statement:



Making it sound like he beat him on skill, not a mechanical.
Shall we all announce any and all mechanicals we have at the end of each race and declare that with out them so so and so would not have won. Actually Tyler has beat Cav heads up a couple of times so hes in the same class just Cav in usually the faster one. Cav is not in the same class as Tyler as far as class.
 

·
No Bonk Zone
Joined
·
317 Posts
I watched the video again after reading this thread. It seems Cavendish was trying to give one to Goss, and Tyler did out sprint him at the line.

And yes, the bike did coast effortlessly after he crossed the line like the other riders around him, so that does send doubt on the brake rub thing.

As for the broken spoke bit, it may just be a story to avoid getting in trouble with his team manager when he's asked how he missed out on such an easy win. Besides, how hard is it to dismount the bike and then kick one of his own spokes to bend or break one?

Anyway, Farrar deserved this win even if it did not look too convincing as a sprint victory. Though he definitely showed more class than Cavendish's nauseating crass... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
Well, "good" to see Cav is back to normal. :p

Mechanicals happen. You can't fault a competitor for your mechanical that they didn't cause. He should consider himself lucky that he placed well enough to keep the green jersey as anything lower than 5th would have given it to Tyler.

As for Tyler. I'm pretty sure he was not aware of Cav's wheel problems. He simply did his job and got to the line first. You don't get more points for how much you beat someone in the sprint.
 

·
ColoColoPR
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you!

See, everybody else seemed to have lost the whole point. Regardless of a broken spoke (which to me, seems like the perfect excuse to his sponsors) He took off when Goss looked at him.

Doolab said:
I watched the video again after reading this thread. It seems Cavendish was trying to give one to Goss, and Tyler did out sprint him at the line.

And yes, the bike did coast effortlessly after he crossed the line like the other riders around him, so that does send doubt on the brake rub thing.

As for the broken spoke bit, it may just be a story to avoid getting in trouble with his team manager when he's asked how he missed out on such an easy win. Besides, how hard is it to dismount the bike and then kick one of his own spokes to bend or break one?

Anyway, Farrar deserved this win even if it did not look too convincing as a sprint victory. Though he definitely showed more class than Cavendish's nauseating crass... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,409 Posts
The bigger problem with Tyler during the Vuelta was his position entering the sprint. Over and over the guy is 5-10 spots back entering the final 500m. And its not just this Vuelta. Without Julian Dean towing his ass, Farrar can't seem to hold his spot when its go time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
kbiker3111 said:
The bigger problem with Tyler during the Vuelta was his position entering the sprint. Over and over the guy is 5-10 spots back entering the final 500m. And its not just this Vuelta. Without Julian Dean towing his ass, Farrar can't seem to hold his spot when its go time.
So, what you are really saying is that it is extremely difficult to position one self properly for a sprint and a good lead out man is essential; a very difficult task that few can do with skill of Julian Dean.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top