21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
0_o

Uprwstsdr said:
it is extremely difficult to position one self properly for a sprint
Yes

a good lead out man is essential; a very difficult task that few can do with skill of Julian Dean
No

Many sprinters have the skill to maintain position in a sprint. Theres more to being a sprinter than top speed. A lot of skill is involved. Farrar gets bumped all over the place and has to make up for it with top end speed.

·
Administrator
13,021 Posts
Cavendish threads are my new favorites.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
albert owen said:
Bottom Lines:

Cav had already won Green and wanted to give Goss the stage.
After Cav, Farrar is the next best sprinter in the Peleton, so he is going to beat him every now and again.
I know he wanted to give Goss a stage, but not sure if he should do that or if the team had given him the green light on that. Definitely easier said than done given Tyler's points. I'm not saying it could not have been done, but anything less than 5th place would have given Tyler the points jersey.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Coolhand said:
Cavendish threads are my new favorites.
I thought the banhammer had to be swung to make it a favorite?

Bottom line: Cav was beaten. Doesn't matter why, he WAS beaten.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
...wondering if Cav's wheel sponsor will now deduct one from their "races won" total...

... and SRAM too, since if he was on Campy he could've opened the brake QR without removing his hands from the bars.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I thought final sprint day into Madrid (or Paris) was always the key race sprinters are angling to win; one last chance to put your name, team and sponsor up front in the media spotlight. If Cav/HTC lost the sprint because Cav wanted to give Goss a shot at a victory, seems like questionable judgement IMHO. If he had a mechanical, well dems the breaks...have a late-nite drink with Andy Schlek.

Cav did win the green so in the end he achieved his ultimate goal; that's prolly what he was really concerned about. Hey, he proved once again he's the best so it's hard to fault him.

·
Registered
755 Posts
bruce_wayne said:
I thought final sprint day into Madrid (or Paris) was always the key race sprinters are angling to win; one last chance to put your name, team and sponsor up front in the media spotlight. If Cav/HTC lost the sprint because Cav wanted to give Goss a shot at a victory, seems like questionable judgement IMHO. If he had a mechanical, well dems the breaks...have a late-nite drink with Andy Schlek.

Cav did win the green so in the end he achieved his ultimate goal; that's prolly what he was really concerned about. Hey, he proved once again he's the best so it's hard to fault him.
Now thats funny.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
robdamanii said:
I thought the banhammer had to be swung to make it a favorite?

Bottom line: Cav was beaten. Doesn't matter why, he WAS beaten.
The banhammer's getting warmed up

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I'm happy for Farrar; that's a nice win.

I'm happy to see Cavendish win some sprints in the race and come out with the green. After watching TdF and the Vuelta it seems pretty obvious to me that this year Cavendish is a stronger sprinter (or/+ has a better team working for him) than Farrar.

I like both of them. I really don't understand all the anger towards Cavendish. Is it because he isn't American? A lot of you don't like him because he's cocky...hmm, soccer strikers, gunners in hockey, scorers in basketball...they are all generally a bit cocky.

I like watching him race and it's great to watch him sprint. I think it's pretty tough to judge a pro athlete on what they say 120 seconds after the game/sprint is over. What might you say if you were 24 years old, just won a sprint in the world's biggest bike race, and knew a lot of people liked to badmouth you?

I might come off as a bit arrogant too;)

Does anyone have a link to the final 10km of this stage? I missed it.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
And is it just me or does Farrar's sprint form look odd and quite un-aerodynamic? He sits up kind of straight and his arm stick way out.

In comparison, lil' Cav is crouched down very tight with his nose nearly on his bars. It's a wonder Farrar can beat him at all.

I do think Farrar is considerably taller and bigger than Cav though.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
jd3 said:
Cav didn't win because of that, Tyler didn't win the other day because of this. Five years from now, that big pretty trophy will be sitting on Tyler's mantle. That's what matters.
Which trophy is that?
Let's not forget that Tyler can win a stage or two either very early or very late in the season, he has yet to win a stage when it matters (TdF, or one of the monuments). Maybe Tyler will deliver in World Champs, but as of now Cav has 15 TdF stage wins and a Milan-San Remo win, to Tyler's ZERO. And Cavendish is younger than Tyler too. Sorry, but it seems somewhat unlikely to me that "five years from now" Tyler will be remembered as the "trophy" winner compared to Cav. Unless you consider the second place trophy is "big and pretty".

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
55x11 said:
Which trophy is that?
Let's not forget that Tyler can win a stage or two either very early or very late in the season, he has yet to win a stage when it matters (TdF, or one of the monuments). Maybe Tyler will deliver in World Champs, but as of now Cav has 15 TdF stage wins and a Milan-San Remo win, to Tyler's ZERO. And Cavendish is younger than Tyler too. Sorry, but it seems somewhat unlikely to me that "five years from now" Tyler will be remembered as the "trophy" winner compared to Cav. Unless you consider the second place trophy is "big and pretty".
If he has so many wins, why give a rat's ass about this one?

·
Registered
190 Posts
nayr497 said:
And is it just me or does Farrar's sprint form look odd and quite un-aerodynamic? He sits up kind of straight and his arm stick way out.

In comparison, lil' Cav is crouched down very tight with his nose nearly on his bars. It's a wonder Farrar can beat him at all.

I do think Farrar is considerably taller and bigger than Cav though.
Yeah, Tyler is 6' 1" I think. He's a big guy. Cavendish is a small guy (5' 6" or 5' 7" maybe?). I do agree though, that there is a huge difference between the two riders in terms of their position and movement on the bike while sprinting. Cav is always low, head down, and using his legs and body to power his sprint. Farrar (and most others) seems to be slightly more upright (head up at least), and using primarily his legs with less movement of his upper body in comparison to Cav.

·
Registered
190 Posts
IMO, in most interviews with Tyler after he loses races to Cav or whoever else - he is the one that sounds like a whiner... Maybe it is just because he has a whiny sounding voice, but I keep thinking back to the head-butt stage of the Tour where I thought he was going to break down crying and screaming "that's not fair!!!" He's one of the most hyped riders in the peloton that continually fails to deliver on the hype. Head-to-head Cav versus Farrar when both are in top form I'd put my money on Cav every time. Cav has a passion for winning and the ability to dig deep to do it that I have never seen from Tyler.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
HeluvaSkier said:
IMO, in most interviews with Tyler after he loses races to Cav or whoever else - he is the one that sounds like a whiner... Maybe it is just because he has a whiny sounding voice, but I keep thinking back to the head-butt stage of the Tour where I thought he was going to break down crying and screaming "that's not fair!!!" He's one of the most hyped riders in the peloton that continually fails to deliver on the hype. Head-to-head Cav versus Farrar when both are in top form I'd put my money on Cav every time. Cav has a passion for winning and the ability to dig deep to do it that I have never seen from Tyler.
Not only was that move unfair, it was unsafe. The judges agreed. Actually, any racer who had ever been in a bunch sprint seemed to agree, too.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.