Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a crit on Tuesday. Went for a 30 mile ride on Wednesday on essentially flat terrain and pushed most of the way at near race pace. Have a 50 mile road race on Saturday. I was going to rest on Friday and now I'm thinking, based on how my legs feel, that I might not ride today and give my legs an extra day of rest.

Because I'm so slow, I will ride the entire 50 miles of the road race by myself. My goal is to chop off as much time as I can from a previous race over the same course a month ago. I will need every bit of strength and endurance I can muster to be able to do that.

I was planning on going for a 36 mile ride today that will include a 900 ft climb over 2 miles. Would I be better off going for a 20 mile ride at an easy pace?

I don't want to over train for the Saturday race, but I don't want to under train either.

Suggestions?

· Registered
124 Posts
I don't like to take the day off the day before a race .
If it were me (or a client) I would take the day 2days before off then the day before60-90 pretty easy with 2-3 short(10-20 second sprints and maybe 1x 5-10min solid Z4 effort. This way your body "thinks" it's getting a hard day so it gets up and ready for a hard day.
Then race day you're ready to go (allowing for a ggod warm up of course)

· Registered
8,252 Posts
I agree with reikisport....Take today off...

Then tomorrow, put in an hour or so ride on fairly flat terrain with a few short but high intensity intervals thrown in to "open up" the legs. Most of the ride however should be at a recovery ride pace.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
So it's essentially a 50 mile time trial?

You have two hard days in your legs right now. Recovery is more important than "training".

I personally am not convinced of the usefulness of "active recovery". I suspect you can get the same effect, i.e. getting blood to and from the legs, flexing and stretching the muscles a bit, etc, simply by going for a half hour walk. And the advantage of walking is you aren't hunched over your bike.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Take the day off and drink lots of beer.

OTOH
If you know that you're going to get dropped in the first mile of a RR, and have to ride the entire race by yourself, why not roll out your door, and do a 3-4 hour solo tempo ride.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, for me it is a time trial and that's why I don't want to substitute a ride of similar length. I would like to see if I can take some time off the last attempt. If there's a larger field than last time, I might be able to ride with one or more other stragglers. You never know.

And this will probably be my last race until I do my first century in mid-July so it will help me guage how progress to date and give me a better idea of how I might do in the century.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
pretender said:
So it's essentially a 50 mile time trial?

You have two hard days in your legs right now. Recovery is more important than "training".

I personally am not convinced of the usefulness of "active recovery". I suspect you can get the same effect, i.e. getting blood to and from the legs, flexing and stretching the muscles a bit, etc, simply by going for a half hour walk. And the advantage of walking is you aren't hunched over your bike.
So instead of an "active recovery" ride...you are suggesting an "active recovery" walk with a little stretching thrown in for good measure? That makes no sense.

That makes no sense since riding a bike is going to be less taxing on the body than a walk and riding the bike is more sport specific.

Why not just some stretching with a 30 minute ride...makes a whole lot more sense than a 30 minute walk.

Back to the original topic...for races, pretty much every upper level racer I know takes the easiest/rest day two days before the race and has a ride the day before a big event....Just an FYI and general rule of thumb by most all racers I know.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
That makes no sense since riding a bike is going to be less taxing on the body than a walk and riding the bike is more sport specific.
Walking is not a taxing activity. We are evolutionarily built for it.

I think you need to clarify the purpose of the recovery ride. If the purpose is to stimulate blood flow with a bit of moderate exercise, there is absolutely no reason for it to be "sport specific". In my experience, walking is a perfect form of recovery from cycling, because it puts your back in an upright, neutral position.

If the event were shorter and more intense, I might see the reasoning for riding the day before, but for a 50-mile time trial, I see no reason to spend time on the bike the day before, except for superstition, tradition, etc.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
pretender said:
Walking is not a taxing activity. We are evolutionarily built for it.
That's pretty funny actually....:D

For me walking for 10 minutes is more taxing than spending an hour on the bike. 30 minutes of walking would make my legs ache! I may be "evolutionarily built for it"...but that doesn't mean it's not taxing on the body.

That however doesn't explain how a 30 minute recovery walk is better than an hour long recovery ride.

Either he should rest, or he should do some active recovery...It's an either/or situation. If it's active recovery then doing it on the bike is going to be better than walking. This isn't rocket science.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
For me walking for 10 minutes is more taxing than spending an hour on the bike. 30 minutes of walking would make my legs ache! I may be "evolutionarily built for it"...but that doesn't mean it's not taxing on the body.
Perhaps you should walk more? A half hour's stroll ought not be taxing to a human being, and the fact that an active person would find it to be so is perhaps a sad commentary on contemporary life.

You still haven't clarified the purpose of the hour's spin. As I wrote before, assuming the purpose of active recovery is stimulating bloodflow to leg muscles, there is no need for it to be sport-specific. If there is some other purpose for the hour's spin, you haven't stated it. If there is no purpose for active recovery, then the OP should just rest.

Personally, I have found walking to be a great way of recovering from cycling, especially if I have a sore lower back. Using walking as a form of active recovery is perhaps a forgotten art, but I stand by it, and highly recommend it.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
pretender said:
Perhaps you should walk more? A half hour's stroll ought not be taxing to a human being, and the fact that an active person would find it to be so is perhaps a sad commentary on contemporary life.

You still haven't clarified the purpose of the hour's spin. As I wrote before, assuming the purpose of active recovery is stimulating bloodflow to leg muscles, there is no need for it to be sport-specific. If there is some other purpose for the hour's spin, you haven't stated it. If there is no purpose for active recovery, then the OP should just rest.
I have little desire to go for a 30 minute walk for any reason...Can I walk farther/longer? Sure. Do I want to? Nope!

I like walking about as much as I do running....which isn't at all, especially when my wife drags me to the mall. I don't have a need to walk more than I do now and yes, a 1/2 hour stroll is taxing for me, especially on my knees and after a hard workout. Years of exceedingly heavy lifting have taken their toll on my joints (used to be a collegiate hammer thrower) as well as two knee surgeries and a messed up ankle.

I however have no problem putting in 5 hours at 20+ mph on a bike and enjoy that.

I have stated the purpose of the "Hour Spin" on several occasions, but such is life. Maybe the lack of comprehension of this is a sad commentary on today's educational system?

It's the same reason that you suggested a 30 minute walk...yet we are talking cycling here, not walking. An hour spin on a bike is going use a similar amount of calories as a 30 minute stroll, the difference is you will be using more sport specific muscles on the bike.

With walking there isn't much leg bend anywhere along the way and it really doesn't stretch the muscles much or generate much blood flow due to the limited range of motion from the action of walking.

Cycling does this much, much better than walking.

I'm glad you enjoy walking...keep it up...have fun with it. I'll stick to other modes of transportation and activities. This is a cycling forum after all...not a walking forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.