Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
FattyCBR said:
My wife was asking last night about taking a leak during a stage and how it's done. Anyone know?
either a mass break on the side of the road, or they lift up or pull down their shorts while riding seated.

Some rider in the TdF last year was whipping it out while waving the cameraman off of him (it was live on oln) so he could take care of business.

Maybe someone can give better details of how it is done.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
FattyCBR said:
My wife was asking last night about taking a leak during a stage and how it's done. Anyone know?
2 schools: pull up the leg of your shorts and let loose or pull your bibs down and your gear up and over. I prefer the former -- I think most people do this. In any case, the point is never to stop riding. Sometimes team-mates will push along a rider while he get s his business done. It's best to do this when the risk of spraying spectators is low -- but when you have to go, you have to go!

A+

Philippe

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
philippec said:
2 schools: pull up the leg of your shorts and let loose or pull your bibs down and your gear up and over. I prefer the former -- I think most people do this. In any case, the point is never to stop riding. Sometimes team-mates will push along a rider while he get s his business done. It's best to do this when the risk of spraying spectators is low -- but when you have to go, you have to go!

A+

Philippe

If you got to crap. They just do it in their shorts and finish the stage. Not many people know this.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Seen a lady do it

I remember racing IronMan Cape Town in 2000 and I was just behind the lead lady when she let rip. I almost fell off my bike – first through shock and then as a result of me laughing uncontrollably. It was one of my more memorable moments on the bike. There was no hint that she was about to pee but when she did it was clear (her need to pee, not the pee itself!) that she had drunk quite a bit that morning. An impressive all round performance I think.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
gizzard said:
I remember racing IronMan Cape Town in 2000 and I was just behind the lead lady when she let rip. I almost fell off my bike – first through shock and then as a result of me laughing uncontrollably. It was one of my more memorable moments on the bike. There was no hint that she was about to pee but when she did it was clear (her need to pee, not the pee itself!) that she had drunk quite a bit that morning. An impressive all round performance I think.
The humor fails me. What were you laughing uncontrollably at?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Laughed out loud

I laughed for two reasons: 1 – It was the last thing that I was expecting and 2 – depending on what you perceive to be generally ladylike behaviour, that incident qualified as many things, but nothing vaguely resembling ladylike behaviour. I also appreciated the general incongruency between a good looking athlete in the prime of her life/the beautiful scenery/and a fantastic competition, with someone slashing on the bike. Maybe you had to be there to appreciate it, but if it ever happened to you then maybe you'd see my point.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
gizzard said:
I laughed for two reasons: 1 – It was the last thing that I was expecting and 2 – depending on what you perceive to be generally ladylike behaviour, that incident qualified as many things, but nothing vaguely resembling ladylike behaviour. I also appreciated the general incongruency between a good looking athlete in the prime of her life/the beautiful scenery/and a fantastic competition, with someone slashing on the bike. Maybe you had to be there to appreciate it, but if it ever happened to you then maybe you'd see my point.

I still want to see some pictures of the women :thumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sintesi said:
If you got to crap. They just do it in their shorts and finish the stage. Not many people know this.
LOL. I'd hate to be drafting one of them. They should call that riding in the smelloton. I like Bob Roll's story from his website:

>>
The 1986 Tour de France was Roll's most brutal, grueling event-a race that produced a classic two-wheel war story. During most of the '86 Tour, Roll endured the pain of the world's toughest bike race while suffering through toilet-hugging sickness. Finally feeling better but famished from not eating, one evening he inhaled a gigantic peach melba dessert. The next morning, Roll devoured four ham-and-cheese omelets before that day's stage. Three hours into the ride, in the middle of the peloton, Roll's lower intestines suddenly began a one-exit, no-waiting tour of its own.

"Sheeeeeiitttt!" he screamed.

He tried to take his bike jersey off, but only got it over his head. It was then he realized that his jersey was pinned to his bib shorts. Now blinded, he began knocking over other cyclists as he fought with his jersey. When the road suddenly curved, our Bobke went straight into a muddy ditch, splashing spectators along the way. His bike careened onto someone's driveway, where he somersaulted over the handlebars. Finding a tall hedge to hide behind, he bent over and his bowels had their own Tour de France breakaway. Finishing, he looked around for some leaves, but only found a nice French family incredulously staring at him from their picnic site on their front lawn. Roll smiled, grabbed a linen napkin, wiped himself, then amazingly grabbed a piece of cake and ran back to his bike.

Now, it's one thing to have the mindset to grab the napkin; it was an emergency situation. But to also brazenly grab a piece of cake at such a moment-well, that's priceless. Roll finished a crappy 63rd of 131 finishers in the '86 Tour.
<<

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
There has always been a gentlmen's understanding between the riders and the cameras that the "event" wont be filmed, especially when live broadcast became the norm. I remember hearing Phil Ligget speak in Berkeley in the early 80s and he said such. Last year was the first time I'd ever seen any footage of a rider being filmed. It was a breakaway, Hincapie was one of them, and they were all going from the bike and the broadcast continued. Phil and Paul went silent and waited for the for the feed to change back to the peleton but it didn't for about 20 seconds.

Going from the saddle usually only happens if there is a group away. If the peleton is together, the pace will drop off and those that have to go will stop, take care of business and work together to rejoin, which happens pretty quickly. Attacks will only happen after everyone has rejoined.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
there have been numerous shots of this already this tour

you see the peloton moving along and some riders coasting, while standing one handed. Shot from behind it doesn't look like much.My wife asked me what they were doing and I said 'taking a leak' she replied 'talented'.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
gizzard said:
yeah, that is really hilarious. i'm sure she appreciated your juvenile laughter.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I remember years ago watching live overage of the NYC marathon. The camera was following the lead woman, and the announcers started talking about how her shorts must be chaffing because she kept tugging at them. After a minute discussing this, one of the announcers finally realized what was going on, said "oh", and the topic was abruptly dropped. The coverage then switched to the men's race.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
atpjunkie said:
you see the peloton moving along and some riders coasting, while standing one handed. Shot from behind it doesn't look like much.My wife asked me what they were doing and I said 'taking a leak' she replied 'talented'.
I saw John Vaughters pecker in the 2000 TdF once.

I'm not proud of this fact.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.