1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
That's great to see ... Basically it's going to come down to one of two things: 1) UCI/USAC back down and change the rule or 2) It's going to get ugly and a class action law suit will be filed against UCI/USAC.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the race takes place ... if the UCI/USAC backs down or doesn't just slam them, every other team will do the same and ignore the UCI/USAC which will take away a ton of power from them.

If they slam Sho-Air, who joins the law suit?

This is far from over and I have a feeling it will get really ugly ... but if the industry and riders fight back, you could see the end of both the UCI and USAC, or at a minimum "Greatly" reduced power by them.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I kind of don't understand this one. Do you have to sign a contract when you get a UCI license? I don't understand how they can tell anyone where and what races they can race.
When you sign your UCI card, you are agreeing to the terms of UCI rules ... so yes, they can tell UCI license holders what races they can or can't do. If you choose to ignore those rules they can fine you or take your license away.

Think of it like having a drivers license ... you don't sign a contract stating all the rules and regulations you must follow, but when you do sign the license you are agreeing to follow all of their rules, even if you don't know them all. If you chose to ignore the rules of the road they can fine you, imprison you or take your license away.

The issue really is that the UCI/USAC are only taking into account the top level of the sport ... the pro's racing on the pro circuit.

They forgot about all the juniors that occasionally race in big races and have a UCI license ... those guys can no longer participate in any local, regional or national level races unless it's sanctioned by the UCI. How can those guys afford to race? How can they develop into top level racers if they can't race?

What about the masters racers that race at the national level? They may need a UCI license if they want to race at a national level event or in Europe or other locations outside of the U.S. If they hold a UCI card, they can no longer participate in local races unless it's been sanctioned by the UCI ... so they either have to give up trying to compete at the upper levels or give up racing at the lower levels.

Basically the UCI/USAC only thought about those directly in front of their face ... not those that really matter. They neglected the sponsors of the sport, the grassroots people, the up and comers and the masters with money.

Short sighted as usual ... but then do we expect anything else from the UCI/USAC by now?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I kind of don't understand this one. Do you have to sign a contract when you get a UCI license? I don't understand how they can tell anyone where and what races they can race.
Basically when you're granted a license, you agree to play by UCI/USAC's rules, or they'll take your license, and all racing privileges away from you.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
and USAC does squat for cross and MTB while being quite happy to collect race fees.
They expect pros to only do their races (which don't pay a living wage) and forgo more lucrative races under the threat of we'll pull your UCI licensing

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
they are just trying to strong arm the little man out of existence
I think we have laws against monopolies

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
When you sign your UCI card, you are agreeing to the terms of UCI rules ... so yes, they can tell UCI license holders what races they can or can't do. If you choose to ignore those rules they can fine you or take your license away.

Think of it like having a drivers license ... you don't sign a contract stating all the rules and regulations you must follow, but when you do sign the license you are agreeing to follow all of their rules, even if you don't know them all. If you chose to ignore the rules of the road they can fine you, imprison you or take your license away.

The issue really is that the UCI/USAC are only taking into account the top level of the sport ... the pro's racing on the pro circuit.

They forgot about all the juniors that occasionally race in big races and have a UCI license ... those guys can no longer participate in any local, regional or national level races unless it's sanctioned by the UCI. How can those guys afford to race? How can they develop into top level racers if they can't race?

What about the masters racers that race at the national level? They may need a UCI license if they want to race at a national level event or in Europe or other locations outside of the U.S. If they hold a UCI card, they can no longer participate in local races unless it's been sanctioned by the UCI ... so they either have to give up trying to compete at the upper levels or give up racing at the lower levels.

Basically the UCI/USAC only thought about those directly in front of their face ... not those that really matter. They neglected the sponsors of the sport, the grassroots people, the up and comers and the masters with money.

Short sighted as usual ... but then do we expect anything else from the UCI/USAC by now?
Ok I get it now. But I thought this was only for people with an international license. So masters and juniors should be ok unless they race worlds.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
and USAC does squat for cross and MTB while being quite happy to collect race fees.
They expect pros to only do their races (which don't pay a living wage) and forgo more lucrative races under the threat of we'll pull your UCI licensing
I know thats why here in CO there really aren't any USAC mountain bike races any more. They closed down the mountain stats cup for XC becasue no one would race it.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Ok I get it now. But I thought this was only for people with an international license. So masters and juniors should be ok unless they race worlds.
You might be surprised how many masters and juniors hold UCI licenses so they can race upper level races, or even go to Europe and race.

The reality ... it's a power play, nothing more, nothing less. I think the UCI "Clarification" was to help USAC limit what the pro's in the U.S. could race. USAC has been working for years to pull out every stop they can to get rid of smaller organizations like OBRA and take over their membership (it's worth $400,000+ per year to USAC if they can get rid of OBRA alone) ... just like they did in Colorado.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I know thats why here in CO there really aren't any USAC mountain bike races any more. They closed down the mountain stats cup for XC becasue no one would race it.
I think US Pro cyclists should honor it and just ask the USAC for a paycheck

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Any top level junior who has the talent to race outside the US will require a UCI license. For example, If they will be racing the Tour de Abitibi in Quebec...One of the top level junior road races in Canada..

Furthermore, this rule does not just affect those in the US. In Canada all racers are on a UCI license, there is no National level license like in the US. So that means all Juniors, Elites, Masters are forced to race only UCI sanctioned events, this will include events that are sanctioned through the CCA and Provincial Cycling Associations...

Really, it's a stupid rule...But is par for the course with the UCI...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
This thing has gotten ugly.

The rule sort of makes sense in Europe. It stops a Pro...like, say ,Boonen ..from showing up at a local Kermese and taking the money.
Local races in European countries are small compared to the size of US local races, while the US does not have many the big Pro races that take place all over Europe....and this goes for all cycling disciplines.

When this whole thing started brewing a few weeks ago....I blew it off thinking that it only affects a dozen or so racers on UCI trade teams.

But it now seems to mean anyone with a International license. So Masters who either raced Masters Worlds or go to Canada or Europe. And Juniors...who race the uSGP cross series.

Add in that over a 1/3 of the country is not USAC sanctioned....
And some areas , like New England have a couple of sanctioning bodies...

And that effects a lot of people.

Everything is negotiable.....and USAC is trying to force every one on their bus.
It's only a matter of time before they try to do the same to regular license holders.

It's going to get ugly.( or maybe they'll get smart and back pedal out of it.

What ever you think about the crew at Sho-Air, they brought the dieing MTB series back from the dead. And they are head sponsor or the US Cup...and put on a couple of big USAC/ UCI races....as well as supporting a Pro team and multiple club teams. They are making a strong stand.

·
Registered
750 Posts
This thing has gotten ugly.

The rule sort of makes sense in Europe. It stops a Pro...like, say ,Boonen ..from showing up at a local Kermese and taking the money.
Local races in European countries are small compared to the size of US local races, while the US does not have many the big Pro races that take place all over Europe....and this goes for all cycling disciplines.
I guess I don't see how the pros who dominate these events in the USA are really different than your example of Boonen swooping into a local event and scooping up all the glory and prize money? The purse at the Whiskey Off Road is $40K! That's a lot of prize money. It's pretty easy to see why the pros want to do those events and just as easy to understand why the local hero would resent sponsored pros who're paid to ride their bikes showing up!

It seems like it would be a lot easier if the promoters and USAC/UCI could work this out without pitting one group of riders against another.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I guess I don't see how the pros who dominate these events in the USA are really different than your example of Boonen swooping into a local event and scooping up all the glory and prize money? The purse at the Whiskey Off Road is $40K! That's a lot of prize money. It's pretty easy to see why the pros want to do those events and just as easy to understand why the local hero would resent sponsored pros who're paid to ride their bikes showing up!

It seems like it would be a lot easier if the promoters and USAC/UCI could work this out without pitting one group of riders against another.
One of the reasons for the big purse is to attract the Pros. The Whiskey has a Pro class. The rule was designed so Pros didn't hit little races and grab money at amateur events.
It also was designed so that Pros would be at the big races. When a promoter puts in for a high level UCI race...they are guarenteed that Pro teams will show. USAC does NOT do that in the US

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.