Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
So I usually take one day off a week but I think I'm going to stop that. Whenever I take a full day off of the bike for recovery, no matter how much I thought I needed it, my legs always feel bad the next day. ALWAYS. They are tired and feel like full of junk and my heart rate is too high (I know someone will pounce on me for bringing up heart rate, but it's true I can't push the same at the same heart rate, it's higher even at low intensities).
I'm just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing? Any suggestions? Should I spin really easy for like half an hour or an hour instead of doing nothing?
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I usually ride 7 days a week...my easy days are 1 - 1.5 hour recovery rides. Basically just ride really easy for 1 - 1.5 hours with no real hard efforts.

It's not for everybody, but it works for me and keeps the legs from feeling like complete crap after a rest day.

BTW...that's also why teams ride for 2 - 3 hours on rest days during the TDF....

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
if that's the only time you feel that your legs feel flat, then try it. i don't personally have that problem, but i know i feel better on race days if i have an easy ride with a few good efforts in the day before.

try to keep it extra easy and give it a shot. don't feel bad if you need to back off at some other point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You may also want to make sure you're getting plenty of rest. I've noticed if I'm tired (we have a 9 month old) from being up at night with him, my legs will feel weaker the next day after less sleep.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
yeah when you are training 6 days a week and take one day off suddenly, your legs go into a deeper recovery, and 'feel like crap' the next day as you say, but you CAN ride on that recovery day, it just means they will feel 'crap' for about the first 40min of that ride, after which they should 'loosen out' and 'come back' for the rest of the ride.

I know its a extreme example, but the guys in the tour ride on their rest day, for that reason.

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
Why don't you try taking another rest day?

I like to ride 6 or 7 days a week, but feel really strong after I'm forced to take two or three days off in a row. There might be a little "heaviness" in the legs for 15 minutes or so, but then I feel a big difference in strength.

·
Registered
212 Posts
lookrider said:
Why don't you try taking another rest day?

I like to ride 6 or 7 days a week, but feel really strong after I'm forced to take two or three days off in a row. There might be a little "heaviness" in the legs for 15 minutes or so, but then I feel a big difference in strength.
Bingo!
l really crack after 2 complete days off the bike following a block of hard or long days in the saddle, and a really good warm up with a couple of minutes of blowing the cob webs out after the warm up really ensures the legs are going to co-operate on what ever l have planed for them for the days ride, usually it's something brutal but l just love riding on the rivet with my tounge hanging out :p

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
That work for me, too. Actually, 2 weeks ago I took almost a week off. Just rode really easy for a couple of days during that week. The following week my legs felt great, albeit after a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.