Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided to bite the bullet and pick up shoes and a decent set of pedals.

I know absolutely nothing about clipless, I've been riding toe-clips forever. Imagine a rider from the mid-80's being handed a pair of clipless pedals and shoes for the first time. That's me.

I would like carbon shoes and had considered the R540 Shimano pedals. They're only 50 grams heavier than DA.

BTW I ride an Ultegra SL 175mm if it means anything, 53-39.

·
Registered
620 Posts
For shoes...

...consider Shimano, either R220, R300, or R310. They're pricey, but I think the fit (vacuum formed, custom) is unmatched, and it's a great, efficient shoe, also. I like Look pedals, but they're all good. The Shimanos you're talking about are probably fine...

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
If you're looking for something cheaper than the Shimano shoes, look at Sette Elite Carbon Road shoes. Pricepoint has them for $89. PBK usually has Shimano pedals cheap. I personally prefer the Time RSX pedals though.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Money is no object, comfort and power transfer is.

I was looking at the Shimano shoes, some of those look real nice.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Shimano shoes

j-dogg said:

I wear Shimano shoes. I tried on a bunch of shoes awhile back and they fit the best. Your best bet is find a bike shop that has a large shoe selection and try a bunch on. They all fit different, even within the same brands I found...I could go up or down a half or full size depending on the year and model..don't buy based on looks, base your preference on fit.

As for pedals. I use Looks. Next time around I will probably go Shimano. Look seems to have a durability factor, or maybe just bad luck with me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Shimano shoes, Look or Shimano pedals. It's that easy. :)

I saw a graph in some magazine that tested the stiffness of a bunch of different shoe brand's high end shoes, and shimano was by far the best. I think Diadora was the worst.

And shimano shoes seem to fit a lot of people nicely.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I'm a Campy bigot, and I've been using the same mid-90's pair of Time pedals and shoes since, well, the mid-90's, but next time I buy (and it might be soon) I'll get Shimano pedals, probably Ultegra, and either Shimano or Specialized shoes.

·
Super Moderator
40,808 Posts
j-dogg said:
So I've decided to bite the bullet and pick up shoes and a decent set of pedals.

I know absolutely nothing about clipless, I've been riding toe-clips forever. Imagine a rider from the mid-80's being handed a pair of clipless pedals and shoes for the first time. That's me.

I would like carbon shoes and had considered the R540 Shimano pedals. They're only 50 grams heavier than DA.

BTW I ride an Ultegra SL 175mm if it means anything, 53-39.
If at all possible, go to a shop where you can try on the shoes, as there's a fair amount of variation in sizing across makers, as well as preferences among buyers. Searching here may point you towards brands that might work better for you, e.g., if you have wide feet.

Just about all the major pedal systems are really pretty good, as manufacturers have improved designs across the board. Some may prefer one brand or design over another, but it's more a personal choice issue than one brand's design being head and shoulders above the others. And like every other biking peripheral, you can always spend more on weight reduction. I like the Ultegra 6620s (I like the large platform, cleats are durable and easy to walk in, good quality), but there are plenty of alternatives, including those R540s you mention (which use the same SL cleat).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Specialized shoes are great if you need some extra room (as are Northwave S.B.S). Very good quality shoes and they accomodate a custom footbed if you need one.

I've used Time and Speedplays but the Specialized s-works shoe and Look pedals combo has worked for me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
j-dogg said:

Shimano are pretty good, go into a lbs and try it out for yourself, if there is some price difference order it online, otherwise you can take it home on the spot.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll spring for the R540 pedals and some sort of carbon Shimano shoes. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
+ 1 on the Specialized/Look combination...I think one of mine is a Specialized Competition, and the other a Carbon--before they added the turnbuckle...

My feet are a bit beat up--bone spurs on my heels from bad ski boots etc and the Specialized have a little more room in the toe box, and a nicely finished counter on the back that limits the pressure on the back of my heel.

Pretty much one of those things where you got to get to a shop with a good selection, and spend some time trying them on.

I think you'll like the no toe clip experience--I sure did when I started with clipless--a short learning curve & I would never want to go back!

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I ordered today, I sprung for the Ultegra pedals and Gaerne carbon tri-shoes, and a Giant Ares brainbucket. :thumbsup: Happy Birthday to me :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts