Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I've been lurking in this forum on and off in an attempt to learn a little about cyclocross. I've also checked out other cyclocross sites and some of the blogs that are linked in the signatures. Anyway, it looks like fun and I'd like to try it out next season. I wanted to jump in this past season, but had surgery on my elbow in late August (medial epicondylitis) and that set me back a few months. :mad:

I am not going to be using a cyclocross bike, but rather a drop bar mountain bike. This is my third take on building this frame and fork, though the second take was quite nice. Here's a photo of my progress so far:

View attachment 157237

It's a Ted Wojcik steel frame with a Chris Igleheart segmented fork (Chris King headset). When I had Ted originally build this in 2007, I had the frame built with the disc tabs. In hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. I love cantilever brakes. I'm currently having Independent Fabrication build me a titanium Deluxe, which will have the exact geometry as my 1994 Rhygin Ra, and stuck with the cantilevers. That being said, I'll suck it up and slap on some Avis BB7s with Cane Creek levers. The wheels are hand built and have Phil Wood hubs and NOS Mavic 231 rims (just in case I want to use rime brakes at some point). Tires will be Schwalbe CX Pro, as they come in a 26" fitment. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. It's going to be a single speed, so I'm installing a Rennen Rollenlager and their single speed spacer kit & cog. Aside from this, I'm going to use stuff from my parts bin and cheap-o parts. The stem and handebars are Easton EA30 (closeout from REI) and just got a Kalloy seat post that was also uber cheap. Haven't decided on the crankset/bottom bracket yet, though am searching CraigsList periodically. It would be nice to have a real cyclocross bike, but I already had the frame/fork/wheels and considering I had 4 major bike projects last year, I'm going to see how this works.

Okay, some questions: First, I'm looking for a good book or website that has all the rules and some good pointers about technique. I looked at Cyclocross: Training and Technique (Simon Burney), and it was okay, but just wasn't all that excited about it. I guess I was looking for something that was similar to "Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book." Something that had a fun feel to it. Again, I'm new to this, and don't know a lot about the literature. There were other books, but the Burney book seems to get a lot of mention. Secondly, I'm a tad confused about the disc brake rules. I'm only going to do local races (I live in the metropolitan Boston area), so maybe this is a moot point. From what I understand it is, but just want to make sure. Also, are there different rules/regulations/categories for 26" wheels? I gather because I won't be winning, maybe this is a moot point also. I've also been researching the USA Cycling site (downloaded both the USA Cycling and UCI rule books).

Anyway, my aim is to have fun, and not so much to be competitive. Meet some other cycling enthusiasts. Enjoy nature. :D I figured I start the process in the off-season so I could have some time to complete the build and get some practice in.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
cool, it looks like fun

buy the DVD "Pure Sweet Hell"

the cx scene has the greatest people in cycling. the crowd and racer vibe is infectious

the Burney book is the Bible. Get a copy, it isn't much 'fun' but it contains all you'll need to know

you will find rather quickly you will want skinnier 700s so I'd hold off on a second bike

welcome to the tribe, get ready for a really weird addiction

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Will that frameset clear 700C wheels with CX tires? If so, disc tabs might have been the way to go after all.

Here is a pic for comparison. The MTB wheels have WW LT 2.55s and the CX wheel has an Allterrainasaurus 32C

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
it is always funny

when MTBers say "Let's see your rigid, drop bar 29ers" and you post pix of your cx bike.
riding a cx bike on most of my local trails reminds me that most of thetime on our MTBs we run waaayy too much rubber

·
raging results nerd
925 Posts
As far as I know, disc brakes are USA Cycling legal but not UCI legal. As long as you don't jump into any UCI races (you won't, trust me) it's a not a problem. I did hear a rumor of an official once telling someone they couldn't race the C race with disc brakes at gloucester, back in the day, which I believe is total bull and a sign that official didn't know what he or she was talking about.

There's a small chance the rule has changed, but I couldn't quickly google up anything about it if so. Anyway, the odds of being barred from a C race around Boston because of disc brakes are veryveryvery low. Similarly, there's no wheel size restriction outside of UCI races so you can rock the 26ers freely.

The C classes are full of people who are mostly clueless about the nuances of racing cross, and that's a good thing. Don't worry too much about getting your technique down or knowing exactly what you're doing; just jump in a race and have at it. The fields locally were huge last year, so no matter how out of shape and/or confused you are you'll have people to race against.

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
atpjunkie said:
buy the DVD "Pure Sweet Hell"

the cx scene has the greatest people in cycling. the crowd and racer vibe is infectious

the Burney book is the Bible. Get a copy, it isn't much 'fun' but it contains all you'll need to know

you will find rather quickly you will want skinnier 700s so I'd hold off on a second bike

welcome to the tribe, get ready for a really weird addiction
Gotcha, thanks! :)

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Will that frameset clear 700C wheels with CX tires? If so, disc tabs might have been the way to go after all.
Coincidentally, last night while I was in my humble little workshop, I slapped on the front wheel from my road bike just for giggles to see it if would fit and it did. :thumbsup: I gather I could get some 700c rims and lace them up to the hubs, but am going to run the current setup until I at least get one event under my belt. The Schwalbe CX Pro tires are 16x1.35, so that'll suffice for the time being (or at least I'm hoping they will!).

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
colinr said:
As far as I know, disc brakes are USA Cycling legal but not UCI legal. As long as you don't jump into any UCI races (you won't, trust me) it's a not a problem. I did hear a rumor of an official once telling someone they couldn't race the C race with disc brakes at gloucester, back in the day, which I believe is total bull and a sign that official didn't know what he or she was talking about.

There's a small chance the rule has changed, but I couldn't quickly google up anything about it if so. Anyway, the odds of being barred from a C race around Boston because of disc brakes are veryveryvery low. Similarly, there's no wheel size restriction outside of UCI races so you can rock the 26ers freely.

The C classes are full of people who are mostly clueless about the nuances of racing cross, and that's a good thing. Don't worry too much about getting your technique down or knowing exactly what you're doing; just jump in a race and have at it. The fields locally were huge last year, so no matter how out of shape and/or confused you are you'll have people to race against.
Thanks for the informative reply. I have researched the disc brake thing ad nauseam and came up with the same information you presented, but just wanted to make sure. I think the biggest race I would want to do is Gloucester, so as long as I can join in on the fun, that'll be groovy. And yeah, I'm the type to just jump in and see what happens. I've watched a lot of videos and have a pretty good idea of the gist of things. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself....

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
atpjunkie said:
when MTBers say "Let's see your rigid, drop bar 29ers" and you post pix of your cx bike.
riding a cx bike on most of my local trails reminds me that most of thetime on our MTBs we run waaayy too much rubber
Yeah, and riding my road bike on most of the local trails reminds me that most CXers don't need CX bikes - just the balls to drift a little, and a more durable road bike. Giant tires let you do things skinny tires don't; cross bikes let you not worry about breaking your road bike.

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Applesauce said:
Yeah, and riding my road bike on most of the local trails reminds me that most CXers don't need CX bikes - just the balls to drift a little, and a more durable road bike. Giant tires let you do things skinny tires don't; cross bikes let you not worry about breaking your road bike.
It's interesting you mention that because I also thought about putting cyclocross tires on my road bike (the orange bike in the background in the above photo). I didn't think they'd fit though.

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
suspectdevice said:
Picking up a set of Notubes Ztr 700c wheels will be the way to go. Those rims work extremely well with cross clinchers setup tubeless.

You should be 100% fine with the discs, btw.
Cool, thanks for the advice and the tip. I'm running tubeless on my Rhygin and didn't even think about that approach for cyclocross. Definitely going to look into this type of setup.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
misterdangerpants said:
It's interesting you mention that because I also thought about putting cyclocross tires on my road bike (the orange bike in the background in the above photo). I didn't they'd fit though.
Oh, I never have. But I've ridden most of Boulder's Front Range "commuter trails," from Bobalink to Community Ditch to Marshall Mesa to Coatlon, Koppenburg, etc., on 23c Michelin Pro Races. I see and pass "mountain bikers" and guys on CX bikes all the time. Mostly that just goes to show that the real mountain biking in the area is - surprise! - in the mountains, because I've ridden TONS of sh!t up there that I wouldn't even ride past on my road bike. (Don't tell that to the moneyed wastrels who commute to Vic's on their Mavericks every morning.) It's all about what level of control - or more so, lack thereof - you're comfortable with.

·
raging results nerd
925 Posts
If we're gonna go yelling at inflammatory threadjackers (must be the offseason...) then surely atpjunkie deserves an honorable mention for bringing up the utterly irrelevant point that sometime people ride mountain bikes on smooth trails and golly gee, aren't those mountain bikers silly?? Which is what got applesauce all excited to do some posturing of his own.

And I guess I should also get a medal for continuing the train of idiocy, huzzah.

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
colinr said:
If we're gonna go yelling at inflammatory threadjackers (must be the offseason...) then surely atpjunkie deserves an honorable mention for bringing up the utterly irrelevant point that sometime people ride mountain bikes on smooth trails and golly gee, aren't those mountain bikers silly?? Which is what got applesauce all excited to do some posturing of his own.

And I guess I should also get a medal for continuing the train of idiocy, huzzah.
Well, atpjunkie did provide some beneficial information, so I cut him some slack. :thumbsup:

I drove into my Boston office today so I'm a little on edge....

·
Cyclocross fool
448 Posts
nice stem, dangerpants! Seriously, BEAUTIFUL bike. Every detail. I love it. Hope it's as nice to ride as to look at. If you ever tire of it, send it my way.

And re: Applesauce, he may be brusque, but he shoots straight. I value his opinions. And because he seems to be the closest thing we still have around here to the dearly departed Alienator, I cherish him!

·
Registered
175 Posts
That bike is sweet! That Ted guy sure does make pretty welds.

towerscum

·
Registered
584 Posts
This is a very noob question, but how much seat post can you have? Is there a limit? Nice colors btw way. From his website Mr. W also appears to make some nice pure cross rides as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts