Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm OK with getting tires on without using tire irons, but so far I haven't learned any tricks to removing the tire without them. Any tricks for this procedure?
note: the way I learned to put them on was watching a guy n a bike shop put one on. It looked pretty easy and I tried it and more or less, it was. I suppose I can just hang around a bike shop till I watch them take one off?

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
martinrjensen said:
So I'm OK with getting tires on without using tire irons, but so far I haven't learned any tricks to removing the tire without them. Any tricks for this procedure?
note: the way I learned to put them on was watching a guy n a bike shop put one on. It looked pretty easy and I tried it and more or less, it was. I suppose I can just hang around a bike shop till I watch them take one off?
It's very rim and tire dependant and I haven't used a tire lever for tires going on & off until I scored a set of wheels with Kinlin rims recently. They must be a bigger diameter than my normal Open Pro rims and BWW Blackset Race.

To get tires off do this -
Deflate tire fully (Duhh!!)
Have valve at the bottom.
Push the sidewalls inwards (both walls, all the way round).
Grasp a handfull of tire at the top with the left hand and press down on the rim with the fingers of same hand. (easier to do than to explain).
With other hand starting at the bottom, work up the right side of the wheel, pulling tire sideways both ways (back & forth) while pulling up the slack with the top hand. Work from bottom to top.
Turn wheel around (without letting off the pressure with the left hand)
Repeat the last step - work right hand from bottom to top and pull up the slack to the top.
Now you have as much slack tire in your left hand as there possibly can be.
Roll the whole tire (with the tube still inside) off the rim.
All this takes maybe five seconds.
This has worked for me for decades (I've never used a tire lever in living memory on both road and mtb) until the Kinlins. There is no way this will work for the tires on them.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks, I will give this a try
Mike T. said:
It's very rim and tire dependant and I haven't used a tire lever for tires going on & off until I scored a set of wheels with Kinlin rims recently. They must be a bigger diameter than my normal Open Pro rims and BWW Blackset Race.

To get tires off do this -
Deflate tire fully (Duhh!!)
Have valve at the bottom.
Push the sidewalls inwards (both walls, all the way round).
Grasp a handfull of tire at the top with the left hand and press down on the rim with the fingers of same hand. (easier to do than to explain).
With other hand starting at the bottom, work up the right side of the wheel, pulling tire sideways both ways (back & forth) while pulling up the slack with the top hand. Work from bottom to top.
Turn wheel around (without letting off the pressure with the left hand)
Repeat the last step - work right hand from bottom to top and pull up the slack to the top.
Now you have as much slack tire in your left hand as there possibly can be.
Roll the whole tire (with the tube still inside) off the rim.
All this takes maybe five seconds.
This has worked for me for decades (I've never used a tire lever in living memory on both road and mtb) until the Kinlins. There is no way this will work for the tires on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts