Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a custom fixed gear/single speed. I've been wanting to do this for years and I think it's time. I found a local builder with a good reputation(Southwest Frameworks).

Here is what I'm planning

1. Steel( brand still undecided) with Richard Sachs lugs and Paul's Components rear dropouts.
2. Geometry will be based on my 52cm Vitus 979. I choose the Vitus because it fits me perfect and has a fairly tight geometry.
3. Straight blade steel fork
4. Extended head tube with custom lugged stem
5. 120mm spacing for Phil Wood high flange slotted track hubs
6. No braze-ons other than water bottle mount and rear brake cable routing
7. Classic white/red color scheme. White frame with red head tube and seat tube panel. Lugs outlined in red. Stem painted to match. Paint scheme will be similar to a late 80's Bottecchia

I'm meeting with the builder this week to discuss further.

I realize this is like asking a group of alcoholics if they want a drink but any reason why I shouldn't?

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
If everyone starts getting these custom fixed bikes built I may start feeling the pressure to have one built.

I know if I do it will be steel with stainless lugs, have a nice long top tube so I can go with a 120 stem, and have a cool paint job. I am visualizing burgandy and creme.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ok, I'll bite ...

don't get a custom fixie ... get two of 'em. Pondered a custom myself. Why not get what you want?

Why not? For red and white, there's always the old Faema paint scheme. I like all the Sachs lugs. Not wild about the Paul's track forks (dropouts), but it's just a looks thing and it's just me. Hard to go wrong with the high flange phils prolly.

BTW: this is not like asking alcoholics about a drink. There are lots of alcoholics who are reformed. Here? Not so much.

How did I do?

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I would say there's no reason not to but I'd have it built to fill a specific niche. It looks like you have a very retro looking frame with elegant touches, carry that to the components and you'll have a show stopper. I know you're a shimano guy (I think) but I'd go with a Campy track crank for this or the new as-yet-unreleased Paul Components single speed crank. Sounds like another Sachs Regal special is in order as well. Some nice box section rims.. maybe some red Open Pros if you can find them.

As for the Paul track ends, best idea ever. The built in tensioners should be adopted by more builders, I really wish all of my fixes had them... but alas I've only ridden a bike with them and changing the rear tube was CAKE!

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Don't Do It!

There, happy now?

If you get the dream frame there will be nothing left to live for.

If you get your dream frame Len will have to go out and one up everyone again.

Heck, if you get the darn thing I'll have to go out and one up everyone again (it is getting harder and harder to do).

So as I said, DON'T DO IT OR I'LL REGRET IT!

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking of Campy Pista for this bike. My problem is if I go Campy, what do I use for brake levers? I don't want the carbon levers.

If I stay with Dura Ace, I have DA track cranks, 25th anniversary brakes and 7402 levers.

I'd love to do with Campy on this bike but I'm at a loss for levers..They would have to be NOS or excellent condition. Any suggestions?

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I'm thinking of Campy Pista for this bike. My problem is if I go Campy, what do I use for brake levers? I don't want the carbon levers.

If I stay with Dura Ace, I have DA track cranks, 25th anniversary brakes and 7402 levers.

I'd lover to do with Campy on this bike but I'm at a lose for levers..They would have to be NOS or excellent condition. Any suggestions?

You gonna go with standard road bars or are bullhorns a possibility?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I too didn't want the Campy carbon levers.

Since they were the only choice I got a pair.

Then another pair.

Then another pair.

They sure are nice (and on all my bikes now).

·
ready for retirement
69 Posts
No reason not to order it up - keep the bike industry moving!

Except for geometry, I would order exactly what you've spec'd. You described my next dream bike! Well, I may be torn between white frame/red panels vs. red frame/white panels, both look great to me.

On the brake levers, I'm running the last model (I think) of the Campy alloy levers. They are in very good shape, would look good on your bike. I'd be glad to work something out with you if interested - just PM me.

Go for it!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Try these- http://www.canecreek.com/scr-5_lvr.html
I have 'em on my Fillmore, and they're awfully close to the Campys, but much cheaper, so you won't feel bad removing the front lever blade!

Los

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Here is what I'm planning

1. Steel( brand still undecided) with Richard Sachs lugs and Paul's Components rear dropouts.
2. Geometry will be based on my 52cm Vitus 979. I choose the Vitus because it fits me perfect and has a fairly tight geometry.
3. Straight blade steel fork
4. Extended head tube with custom lugged stem
5. 120mm spacing for Phil Wood high flange slotted track hubs
6. No braze-ons other than water bottle mount and rear brake cable routing
7. Classic white/red color scheme. White frame with red head tube and seat tube panel. Lugs outlined in red. Stem painted to match. Paint scheme will be similar to a late 80's Bottecchia
1. Richissimo or New-vex lugs? Either way, schaweeet.
2. Is your Vitus custom geometry?
3. Nice. maybe you should also consider having the builder incorporate Sachs' lugged, flat crown, or would that not look right on a straight bladed fork?
4. Really nice! I love custom lugged stems.
5. Perfect.
6. Water bottle mount on downtube, right? ;-)
7. Nice yet again. I'm picturing that white/red Merckx frame - great, classic combo!

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jtferraro said:
1. Richissimo or New-vex lugs? Either way, schaweeet.
2. Is your Vitus custom geometry?
3. Nice. maybe you should also consider having the builder incorporate Sachs' lugged, flat crown, or would that not look right on a straight bladed fork?
4. Really nice! I love custom lugged stems.
5. Perfect.
6. Water bottle mount on downtube, right? ;-)
7. Nice yet again. I'm picturing that white/red Merckx frame - great, classic combo!
1. Richissimo lugs
2. Nope. It is standard 52 cm geometry but it fits perfect.
3. Good question. I'll check with the builder about a flat crown. We'll have to draw it up and see what it looks like
6. Definately waterbottle on the downtube.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.