Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding buddy has been inquiring about frame geometry for his new potential ride. I ride a new LOOK KG461 and he likes what he sees. He is 6' 7" and he presently rides a Cannondal R2000 in a 63 cm. Any carbon frame recomendations from big guys out there?
Thanks,
G-dub :cool:

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
giant TCR composite

i'm 6'2" an i ride a large TCR composite w/ DA and cane creek aros 58mm tubies which equates to about 16.4 lb. its the lightest frame i've ever come across and i'm sure ur buddy could fit great on the Xl composite, also for its quality it rocks, i got mine from RBR classifieds for $1300 and it was only ridden like twice. its pretty stiff for a carbon frame, but i'm 6'2" and about 160 lb racing an i can sense that its not as stiff as an AL frame....that is until i put the cane creek aros on. btw...i race cat. 3 sos i'm in pretty good shape and can torque a frame pretty well, but w/ my current setup its rock solid. hope this helps.

~jon

G-dub said:
My riding buddy has been inquiring about frame geometry for his new potential ride. I ride a new LOOK KG461 and he likes what he sees. He is 6' 7" and he presently rides a Cannondal R2000 in a 63 cm. Any carbon frame recomendations from big guys out there?
Thanks,

·
Registered
440 Posts
Giant

G-dub said:
Thanks,
I checked out the Giant Carbon. The XL has an effective 61 cm top tube, which is longer than the 60 cm on the Cdale. So, that bike should be a good option. Of course, he'd have a lot of seat post but at least the top tube, which I think is the more important measurement anyway, is right. One other issue would be how much drop from seat to bars. I would think that he would not cut (or not much) the steerer tube and have lots of spacers. As far as production bikes, that's about as big as I've heard of. The new Cdale carbon/alum will be nice and will probably have the big 63 cm frame too.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Trek makes a 62cm in the 5200

Their top tubes are a tad bit short, but it might work out for him depending on how long his upper body is.

An alternate suggestion is to look at Seven cycles. They build stock frames up to 67cm and are predominately full custom for no extra charge. They are mainly a titanium builder, not carbon, but it might be worth checking out. I would put their quality up against any carbon bike made. And of course there are several other custom builders out there that could build your friend a bike that would fit perfectly and ride just as nicely as any carbon frame.

BTW - I'm 6'5" and ride a 63cm Trek2300 w/ a 13cm stem.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
No way he should be on a 62.

Of course he could make it work, with a clown-bike seatpost and an 8-inch reach down to the bars, but there's no way a guy that size should be on anything smaller than a 65, minimum. I'm only 6'4", and a 62 is at least 2cm too small for me. My brother is 6'7", and he's cramped on my 64cm frames. He rides an old 68cm Cinelli, and it's none too big.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Custom frame for 6'7" would be best

Fit is more important than material. I'm 6'4" with a 38' cycling inseam. I have a 64 cm c-t with a 61 cm top tube, (the biggest production bike I could find) and it's a little small--I need lots of spacers and a riser stem to get the handlebars 2" below the seat. I also have an old 68.5 cm Raleigh (27 inch) and a old 66 cm Schwinn (26") which fit much better.

If he's going to spend that kind of money on a frame, he should get custom.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
tcr geometry

he shouldnt have to worry too much about the sloping toptube cause too much post, as the size increase giant reduced the sloping of the tube. my Large has a noticeable slope bu barely req much more seat post extension

ridewt said:
I checked out the Giant Carbon. The XL has an effective 61 cm top tube, which is longer than the 60 cm on the Cdale. So, that bike should be a good option. Of course, he'd have a lot of seat post but at least the top tube, which I think is the more important measurement anyway, is right. One other issue would be how much drop from seat to bars. I would think that he would not cut (or not much) the steerer tube and have lots of spacers. As far as production bikes, that's about as big as I've heard of. The new Cdale carbon/alum will be nice and will probably have the big 63 cm frame too.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
seat -stem drop

personally i think that 2 inch rule of thumb isnt worth much. i have a bout a 6" stem-seat drop and i dont feel stretched out at all

Continental said:
Fit is more important than material. I'm 6'4" with a 38' cycling inseam. I have a 64 cm c-t with a 61 cm top tube, (the biggest production bike I could find) and it's a little small--I need lots of spacers and a riser stem to get the handlebars 2" below the seat. I also have an old 68.5 cm Raleigh (27 inch) and a old 66 cm Schwinn (26") which fit much better.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
I didn't say he should be on a 62...

I said it MIGHT fit him if he has a short torso. Also notice that I directed him to Seven, a custom ti builder.

But I do agree that a 62 seems awfully small for this guy at first glance. But you never know. Some people have oddly proportioned bodies.

And I agree that at 6'7" he's a perfect candidate for a custom frame, regardless of material. A well fit bike, of any material, is going to be much more comfortable than an ill-fitting bike that is carbon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am 6" 7

I am 6' 7" tall and my only suggestion besides a custom frame is: Lemond makes a nice roomy bike. This year the Zurich is half carbon on top with 853 on the bottom. The top tube is very long and very fitting for my awkwardly large body :) I ride a full 853 Zurich 2001 and it is a great large ride that fits better than any other main stream road bike I was fitted to at our pro shop. Cannondale, Trek, Colnago, Bianchi you name it they did not get as big and roomy as the Lemond.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey Innergel....

At 6'5" how long is your cycling inseam. I am 6'4" with a 38.5 inseam, riding a 63 CAAD5. I am always curious to the inseam of guys who are my height or taller??

·
Registered
681 Posts
kenyonCycleist said:
my Large has a noticeable slope bu barely req much more seat post extension

It's true. The bigger the frame the less tt slope for tcr's. Mine is a large and has considerably less slope than the medium or small.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Cycling inseam = 36" - 86cm from BB to top of seat

I used to think I had extra long legs, but after reading this board and seeing some of the other tall guys, I don't think so.

A little more on my setup:
Seatpost - I had to go with a 350mm Easton EC70 to get the leg extension and setback I need. The 250mm was too short.

Seat - Selle Flite pushed all the way back on the rails

Stem - 13cm 3ttt Forgie XL - maybe 3cm of spacers

The top tube of the Trek2300 is a bit short, and I still feel a tad compact, but all-in-all, I think it's pretty dialed in, fit-wise. At least as close as I can get it for this particular bike. I'm curious as to what a full custom frame would come out as, hence my lust for/facination with a Seven.

BTW - I'm J. Moore, so we're almost the same name/age :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
What kind of bike is the 64 c-t?

Continental said:

I'm curious about your bike - what type? I currently ride a 61 cm c-c Lemond with a 60.5 c-c TT. As said above, that's one of the largest production bikes around - C-T measurement would be about 63 cm, I'm guessing.

By the way, do you guys with large bikes have shimmy problems? My Lemond shimmy's at certain higher speeds but only when I put my hands on the Cane Creek Speed Bars that are clamped right next to the stem, or when I ride no hands down a hill; otherwise, like in my real life situations when descending in the drops, it is rock solid.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
It all depends on your proportions. I'm 6'2", with 34" trouser inseam. My best-fitting bike is an old 59cm (c-c) trek. I'm currently looking at a 60cm (c-t) frame for a new bike, being the closest to the Trek in dimensions. I have a friend who's 6'6" tall, but has a similar trouser inseam, and he's happy with a 60cm Cannondale. Another friend is 6'2", but shorter in the legs, longer in the torso. He rides a 57cm Jamis, and he's quite comfortable.

In the past, I've found myself to be comfortable on a 61cm Bianchi, but not on the 59 (top tube is too shots). My fixed-gear is a 61 cm (I think), but with the short setm, it's fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
a xl giant carbon will be fine

I'm 6'7" with a 37" inseam and a XL Giant Composite fits me fine. I ride a '05 now. If you are looking for one, I'm selling an 2004 XL new Team frame on Ebay (see marklblau) as well as a 66cm Cannondale frame.... if you really need something huge. Both bikes fit me the same... only I use a 400mm seatpost on the Giant.
-Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fuji

I'm 6'8" and I'Ive been riding a 64 cm Fuji (c-t)--not the flashiest bike around, but it was the biggest one I could find, although the Lemond is pretty close (as has been noted). I've been convicted that this bike just doesn't fit and am finally going to dish out the cash for a custom. Hope to put my order in with Doug Curtis at Curtlo next week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts