Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new Road bike but I always find myself in the same situation. No LBS's carry XL or XXL bikes. I know from my height of 6'4 I ride a 61cm. If I buy a Giant that's a size XL. If I buy a Scott it's a size XXL. There is no consistency and it's kinda frustrating. I'm actually coming off of a 2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro. Sold,it on a whim because a guy my size that was in the market asked me if he could try it out and I let him and he offered me more than what I paid for it. I did get a super deal on it originally. I'd like to try something else. I did really like but figured maybe I could find something that's a little more endurance type with a taller head tube than race like. I don't really have the option of test riding because like I said the shops around me don't stock the bigger sizes. They just order them in as needed by customers. Sucks for me.

Just hoping to hear suggestions. I have about a $3k budget plus or minus. Minus is always better.

Bikes I'd like to consider

Scott Foil 10. (Pretty racy to me). And doesn't come with carbon wheels for that price.

Giant Defy or Propel

I kinda need to stay Giant or Scott as those are the bikes I get deals on. Any suggestions? I have no idea which Scott would be there Endurance framed bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Foil and Propel are of similar category & fit, the Defy is an endurance (comfort) frame. The TCR will have a fit more similar to the first two.

I sent you a pm, might have something interesting to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking for a new Road bike but I always find myself in the same situation. No LBS's carry XL or XXL bikes. I know from my height of 6'4 I ride a 61cm. If I buy a Giant that's a size XL. If I buy a Scott it's a size XXL. There is no consistency and it's kinda frustrating. I'm actually coming off of a 2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro. Sold,it on a whim because a guy my size that was in the market asked me if he could try it out and I let him and he offered me more than what I paid for it. I did get a super deal on it originally. I'd like to try something else. I did really like but figured maybe I could find something that's a little more endurance type with a taller head tube than race like. I don't really have the option of test riding because like I said the shops around me don't stock the bigger sizes. They just order them in as needed by customers. Sucks for me.

Just hoping to hear suggestions. I have about a $3k budget plus or minus. Minus is always better.

Bikes I'd like to consider

Scott Foil 10. (Pretty racy to me). And doesn't come with carbon wheels for that price.

Giant Defy or Propel

I kinda need to stay Giant or Scott as those are the bikes I get deals on. Any suggestions? I have no idea which Scott would be there Endurance framed bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hmm i don't really see why its so frustrating, sure it might differ slightly, but at the end of the day ride their test bikes and get a feel for yourself which fits you best.

Additionally, a 'racy' bike (more aerodynamically shaped) would tend to be smaller due to the aggressive fit over the endurance bikes where you'll sit more upright. in this case i'm a 6' 5", i'm on a size 58 for an aero bike. however i do suggest u give it some thought into looking at the geometry of the bike to give you a clearer picture on how it'll fit you also. If you have found the fit from your previous bike to your liking, you might want to base off that geometry

·
Registered
114 Posts
6'4" here. Riding an XL (58) Scott Solace.
Has plenty of room to adjust for happy fit for me. Rides very nice. Rear is quite compliant vertically. Sprints and climbs well.
Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I ride a 58 cm Cannondale CAAD10 . You're right about sizing though. There is no universal sizing chart for bikes. When I used to ride a Trek 5200, I rode 60 cm; All of my Felts and two Cannondales I ride 58. The old Specialized Tarmac geos, I rode 60, but newer Tarmacs I can't seem to be properly fitted on. Even when it appears that I am, the bikes just don't feel right....Go figure...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered an XL 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc with Di2. But right now they are out of stock with Giant so I have to wait until the build another batch of them in a size XL. Hopefully it will be here before Christmas.

·
Done
4,509 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, you can always cancel your order if you find something that you like better. Like a custom by Lennard Zinn. Mr. Zinn is sort of the bespoke "Big and Tall" shop for custom bikes. Not just frames, but other stuff that you need to get properly fitted, like custom cranks, etc. Good stuff.

Zinn's Big and tall bike shop - Lennard Zinn - Zinn Cycles - tall bicycle clothing
I've actually had 2 custom bikes built for me over the years by Carl Strong. Both great bikes but I've really liked the Carbon Fiber bikes that I've been riding lately better. Also I can buy a bike from Scott or Giant for a deep discount because of a hookup I have so this is the route for me to go. Zinn does make some cool stuff for us tall guys though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 6'4", 185 lbs, long arms and legs, short torso. Just got into cycling about three months ago and now I am hooked. I have to admit that finding a bike in my size was not easy but I eventually I found what I was looking for - a 63 cm Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultegra (2014). Had to raise the stem though because of an pre-existing hip issue. While doing some research online I found out that the Trek Emonda comes in a 64 cm frame and so does the Specialized Tarmac Expert. Although I am super happy with my Cannondale I wish I had known about the Trek Emonda or the Specialized Tarmac Expert earlier. What are the biggest differences between a Trek Emonda SL 6 2016, a Specialized Tarmac Expert 2016 and a Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultegra 2016? Does anyone know? Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts