Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in desperate need of feedback on whether it is viable to use an Alpha Q tandem fork on a single road bike. I recently completed a build of a Pegoretti Marcelo and after my first ride I've come to realize that the Reynolds Ouzo Pro that comes with the frame is simply to flexible for me. I'm 6'2", 250lbs and over the past 17 or so years of riding flex has always been my enemy.

Therefore, I'm considering replacing the Ouzo Pro with either an Alpha Q Tandem fork or an Ouzo Pro Peloton which I've found hidden in the basement of a retailer. Both would be new and involve more money than I'm willing to spend on something that is not optimal.

I'm leaning toward the Alpha Q Tandem because my non scientific rationale concludes that a fork made for a tandem will be stronger and stiffer than any fork made for a single. The only concern about the Alpha Q is that the crown to dropout measurement is approx. 4 mm longer than what the frame's spec fork, and it has a 44mm rake rather than the spec'd 45mm rake of the original fork.

The Ouzo pro Peloton that I'm also considering has the exact same measurements of the spec'd fork (Ouzo Pro), but I'm concerned about spending on a new fork and still not getting the needed amount of stiffness. The Peloton is said to be stiffer than the Ouzo Pro and may solve my problem, but if it doesn't I'm out of cash and still flexing up climbs and during out of saddle efforts. However, duplicating the excat specs of the original fork is attractive.

Does anyone have any experience with Tandem forks on singles, the stiffness of the Ouzo Pro Peloton fork, or what the impact of adding a fork that is 4mm longer and has 1mm less rake than is called for will do to a frames handling?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
are you sure it is the fork?

make sure that your wheel set or handlebar is not to blame first. I did the opposite and got rid of a sweet wheel set thinking it was the problem only to realize it was my Litespeed house brand fork that was so flexy. Doh.

My guess would be that a tandem fork would be much stiffer and much less compliant, possibly so much so that I would second PPB's suggestion. Plenty of makers and probably priced similarly to the carbon wonders but tuned for your needs and probably a more sexy choice for the marcelo to boot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.