Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read lots of threads on the subject of these scales that measure body fat %. I realize they are not particularly accurate but from the threads it appears that they can be helpful if you weigh yourself at the same time of day after the same type of activity - just waking up, at night after a workout, etc. However, I have the cheapest Tanita scale and it is about 3 years old. My readings vary as much as +/- 3% even if I weigh at the same time of day.

SO - my question is: have these scales gotten better and more accurate. Do you get more consistency with a newer and/or higher model?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Improving?

Homenetman said:
I've read lots of threads on the subject of these scales that measure body fat %. I realize they are not particularly accurate but from the threads it appears that they can be helpful if you weigh yourself at the same time of day after the same type of activity - just waking up, at night after a workout, etc. However, I have the cheapest Tanita scale and it is about 3 years old. My readings vary as much as +/- 3% even if I weigh at the same time of day.

SO - my question is: have these scales gotten better and more accurate. Do you get more consistency with a newer and/or higher model?
What you have is what they are. The +/- 3% is actually fairly good, because you have to throw in your body's degree of hydration as well. The fundamental principle (impedance measurement) has not changed on these scales, and that is the limitation. About all you can do is regularly plot the numbers (keeping consistent with time of day, etc.) and then use proper statistical methods to see if you have a true trend in the data, or if you are just looking at noise/random variations.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Homenetman said:

hmmmmmmmm..interesting, I suspect mine may not be that accurate but it is really consistent....I am almost always between 16 and 17 %...never higher, never lower...

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Homenetman said:

Time for battery change?

Are you consuming the same amount of water?

·
Registered
197 Posts
You don't mention which model you have. I think the newer ones are better. We had one of the first to come out and it did not have different settings for body type and activity level. Those readings varied hugely but it was using a much looser statistical model- it had to accomodate the average population.

We now have an IM-BC554. My readings vary but when I think about why the readings varu it pretty understandable- hydration, eating, etc.

Some people seem to think that if it is not 100% accurate then it is useless. I disagree. I'd rather be right 80%, 90% or 95% of the time than have to guess.

A friend of mine is a cardiologist. He's getting some of his patients to start using these to track water retention. He's also finding that daily/bi-daily weigh-ins are helping people to control their weight as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.