Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, decided to try a different route today to see what it would be like. What I got was a lot more traffic, a very scarey traffic circle (Nevadan's have nooooo idea what to do when they reach one of these things) where I shawdowed a vehicle around it for cover, some tanks that were fun to look at, and a whole lot of maximum security prisons. I tried to find something gorgeous to photograph so I could compete with some of the better pics I've seen here lately but I'm afraid nothing came out quite as well. I did find a reflecting pool but it was full of seagulls and sewage smelling stuff. Oh well. Here's my ride anyway!

The half mile MUT that leaves my neighborhood. It's actually longer but deadends at the prison fence. Weird. Also, the tattoo parlor on the corner by my house. Kinda cool as the owners wife runs a sex shop next door.

Being chased as usual.

Lots of armor at the local Nat'l guard. They no longer let people crawl around on 'em since the terrorists might blow them up or something like that.

Nevada's capital is probably somewhat unique in that it has a couple of maximum security prisons right in the middle of town. None of us really think much about it but they sure own some prime real estate.

My personal reflecting pool. Yuck, it stinks but the birds like it.

More of our yellow fire engines.

Ah, cube sweet cube! And RBR of course.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Pics of significant other in cube = 3
Pics of girlfriend/wife in cube = 3

Looks like you have a very balanced life.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Ridgetop said:
That is quite a hottie in white there on the wall but I am a little worried about your caffeine intake...it is amazing how stuff just piles up in a cube unless you are a Mr. Clean zelot.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, that's from yesterday. I've got a really bad Diet Pepsi habit and eat cottage cheese like it's going out of style. Don't ask why, I can't figure it out myself. Maybe I'm electrolyte deficient or something. As for the Pepsi, I'm down from 4 to 2 per day and working on it. Heading for kidney failure I think. The desk itself is pretty messy to be sure and only makes it a day after cleaning.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She says I'm bike obsessed and I think she sometimes wonders who I care about most. I put her #1 absolutely, but I definitely have two loves. Of course, she rides as much as I do but with a different mind set I think.

·
Registered
105 Posts
1 more vote for the hottie in white.

Ridgetop said:
Actually, that's from yesterday. I've got a really bad Diet Pepsi habit and eat cottage cheese like it's going out of style. Don't ask why, I can't figure it out myself. Maybe I'm electrolyte deficient or something. As for the Pepsi, I'm down from 4 to 2 per day and working on it. Heading for kidney failure I think. The desk itself is pretty messy to be sure and only makes it a day after cleaning.
Nice pictures. Looks very sunny and warm. You said not to, but I am going to go ahead and ask why. Why cottage cheese? It seems to be popular with cyclists. Am I missing something? Is it really good the body or something? I can't get past the taste. On rare occasions, I can crunch up BBQ Lays chips, mix the two together, and then choke it down. Oh sorry did I just give you a new way to eat it?
MN Dan

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Nice commuter

Do you run knobbies or slicks?

How about a close up of your girl?:D

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the late, late reply. I've been in Baltimore for business and just got back. As for the cottage cheese I do it for a cheap source of protein mainly. I have a mix match of hobbies and want to try and maintain a certain level of muscle mass. The roadbiking, running, and hiking were eating away at my body weight each year (like 15 pounds) most of it being muscle. Although I like the little more speed I can pick up during riding I didn't like the way it affected some of my other stuff (including weight lifting) that I enjoy. I found that if I eat a lot of cottage cheese, chicken, etc. that my weight and muscle mass stays fairly consistent. I mix it with a Yoplait Lite yogurt for flavor. Looks horrible but tastes good.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Life,

I run knobbies on it in case I get a sudden urge to hit a trail. There are enough of them just off my commute route that I can sneak in several miles if I feel like it. But man, it makes the bike a beast to pedal fast.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Do any riding in Baltimore?

Ridgetop said:
Sorry about the late, late reply. I've been in Baltimore for business and just got back. .
How was the trip to Baltimore? I'm always interested to hear how a visitor feels about the place. As a native, there are lots of things I like, but I also see a lot of things that I do not like. Also, did you get to do any riding?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Mark,

No, didn't get a chance to ride. I'd plan on it but the only time I could get away from the rest of the group was early in the morning unfortunately. I would get up around 3 in the morning and go exploring until around 7. And to make matters worse I was stuck in the inner harbor. Never got a chance to really get out and explore (due to being part of a large government conference that ran 9 hours each day). But, I tried to make as much of it as I could. By the way, the inner harbor was quite amazing really. I loved exploring that and Fell's Point. Really a neat place early in the morning when no one is around but some weather crews from the local TV stations. I'm going to post a nonride report in the lounge a little later with some pics I took. Wish I had been able to see more of the town. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Wrong kind of conference

Ridgetop said:
Hey Mark,

No, didn't get a chance to ride. I'd plan on it but the only time I could get away from the rest of the group was early in the morning unfortunately. I would get up around 3 in the morning and go exploring until around 7. And to make matters worse I was stuck in the inner harbor. Never got a chance to really get out and explore (due to being part of a large government conference that ran 9 hours each day). But, I tried to make as much of it as I could. By the way, the inner harbor was quite amazing really. I loved exploring that and Fell's Point. Really a neat place early in the morning when no one is around but some weather crews from the local TV stations. I'm going to post a nonride report in the lounge a little later with some pics I took. Wish I had been able to see more of the town. Oh well.
Some people just don't know how to schedule conferences. I go to one conference most years that sounds like the one you attended -- all work and no play. But, another one I attend only meets in the morning and the afternoons are free -- a much better idea.

I'm glad that you went to Fells Point instead of going in the other direction. There are a lot of bad neighborhoods and invisible boundaries in Baltimore. I once had a client visiting from out of town who asked for places where he could run. I was very clear that he should go in the direction you went -- towards the east along the Harbor -- rather than west. Well, he decided he wanted something different and ran through some of the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore. He lived to talk about it, but I don't think he ever realized how lucky he was. If you had continued exploring east from Fells Point and made it to Canton, you would have been in the neighborhood where I grew up -- it was a lot different in the 1960s and 1970s, however.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for answering my question.

Ridgetop said:
Sorry about the late, late reply. I've been in Baltimore for business and just got back. As for the cottage cheese I do it for a cheap source of protein mainly. I have a mix match of hobbies and want to try and maintain a certain level of muscle mass. The roadbiking, running, and hiking were eating away at my body weight each year (like 15 pounds) most of it being muscle. Although I like the little more speed I can pick up during riding I didn't like the way it affected some of my other stuff (including weight lifting) that I enjoy. I found that if I eat a lot of cottage cheese, chicken, etc. that my weight and muscle mass stays fairly consistent. I mix it with a Yoplait Lite yogurt for flavor. Looks horrible but tastes good.
Since your post I tried to do a little research on protein on the web. Very interesting, but lots of discussion out there about how many grams is correct. I have got my fat and fiber amounts worked into my daily routine, but now I am intrigued by the protein. The cottage cheese may be the ticket. I can see why you like it-low calorie/high protein and no cooking. And until I get used to the taste,I found some recipes with black pepper and hot sauce that I am going to try. Thanks for the information.
MN Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts