Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
vexatious enigma
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if it is a good idea to tap the threads on this crank arm or not. Seems like a small chip and just needs the threads to cleared. I am saving up for a new set of cranks but was wondering what people may say about riding this in the mean time. The cranks are FSA Vigorelli track cranks.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Do you even need to tap it? Looks like the area is just chipped away? I would run a tap through that no problem. I don't think you have suffered enough thread loss to have a problem
waldo425 said:
I'm not sure if it is a good idea to tap the threads on this crank arm or not. Seems like a small chip and just needs the threads to cleared. I am saving up for a new set of cranks but was wondering what people may say about riding this in the mean time. The cranks are FSA Vigorelli track cranks.

·
vexatious enigma
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
martinrjensen said:
Do you even need to tap it? Looks like the area is just chipped away? I would run a tap through that no problem. I don't think you have suffered enough thread loss to have a problem
I would need to just clean up the top thread since that seems to have been crushed a little bit. I figured that it would be fine but thought that it would be best to check with someone else first.

Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You might try running the pedal on from the back side once? That might help clean up the threads a little. It really doesn't look too bad from what I can see.
waldo425 said:
I would need to just clean up the top thread since that seems to have been crushed a little bit. I figured that it would be fine but thought that it would be best to check with someone else first.

Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

·
eRacer
2,547 Posts
Doesn't look bad to me at all.
I have a set of R & L 9/16" x 20 Taps and routinely run them through my cranks when cleaning and re-greasing my pedal spindles.
My suggestion would be to run the correct side tap through to freshen the threads and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If the pedal threads in, use it and don't worry.

If not tap from the back side to ensure the tap starts straight and run it through to clear any lifted metal then install pedals and forget about it.

The first one or two threads usually don't do anything anyway. Pedals cannot be threaded all the way to the shoulder and so usually have thread relief (a threadless groove) about 1-2 threads worth. Those missing first threads on your crank would be "threaded" to the relief.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,049 Posts
You just made your bike 0.1 grams lighter!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.